Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 October 2022

Match Reports


25 October 2022

The Young Terriers lose on the road to Blackpool in the Central League

- Huddersfield Town’s B Team defeated by Blackpool
- Goals from Brad Holmes and Luke Mariette the difference
- Town should have scored early in the first and second half

Huddersfield Town’s B Team suffered defeat on the road in their Central League game on Tuesday as they lost 2-0 to Blackpool.

Despite the effort of the Youngsters continuously trying to put pressure on their opponents and score, the strong Blackpool pushed ahead and made it hard to get back in the game.

An early chance from Town in the opening play of the game saw Charles Ondo played onside, but his touch just went wide and past the Blackpool goal.

The home side answered this with their own chance just a few minutes later as Dannen Francis battled well with David Adewoju by Town’s corner flag and sent a cross into the box, but it went across the face of goal and the chance for Blackpool to take the lead was missed.

However, the Seasiders didn’t miss their next chance and took the lead in the sixth minute of the game as Francis once again crossed the ball into the box for Brad Holmes to head it past Nicholas Bilokapic from close range.

After this, Town’s midfield worked together to keep possession as the team pushed forward in search of their equaliser.

Shane Maroodza sent a through ball towards the Blackpool box as he looked for Myles Bright, but there was too much pace on the ball, and it went out for a goal kick, which was taken quickly by Stuart Moore and Francis took the ball into the box but there was too much time and Bilokapic scooped up the ball to safety.

The Blackpool ‘keeper was forced to make an excellent save just after the half hour mark as Ondo’s initial shot was blocked and Town worked together to get the ball to Myles Bright, who’s shot from outside of the box sent Moore jumping to make the save in the top left corner.

Brodie Spencer fought well and won back possession on the edge of the Blackpool box and passed the ball to Bright, who was inside the box, but he couldn’t get the power behind the ball to drive it into the back of the net, so the shot was saved comfortably by Moore – Town trailed at the break.

The Young Terriers started the second half the same as the first as Bright’s chance from the edge of the box hit the crossbar and landed with Ondo. The strikers shot was saved and palmed out for a corner, which was taken well by captain Ben Midgley and Brahima Diarra’s chance to equalise was saved.

Great play between Ondo and Connor Shanks saw another chance for Town to get a goal back as the striker was passed the ball in space and carried it forwards and into the box before he sent it wide to Shanks, who looked to try and send it back, but his pass was blocked and went out for a Town corner.

Shortly after this, Ondo fancied his chances from just outside the Blackpool box, and although his shot was on target, it was saved comfortably by Moore.

Despite Town having majority of possession and the best chances to score, Blackpool scored their second and final goal in the 66th minute after a mistake by Town in the box lead to Mariette being able to tap the ball past Bilokapic.

With their unwavering effort, Town continued to push to get a goal back, but the shot from Diarra on the edge of the box went just high and over the bar.

The home side fancied their chances in getting a third goal when Mariette sent a long ball to Will Squires, but the ball was too far in front of the forward and held comfortably by our second choice ‘keeper.

The last chance for Town to score came in the final minute of the game as Town were awarded a free kick just outside of the box, which was taken directly by substitute Michael Stone, but the shot was saved by a diving Moore to the left of the goal.

Town’s Team (4-2-3-1)
Nicholas Bilokapic; Brodie Spencer, Loick Ayina, David Adewoju, Shane Maroodza; Ernaldo Krasniqi (Donay O’Brien-Brady, 67’), Ben Midgley; Connor Shanks (Michael Stone, 75’), Brahima Diarra, Myles Bright; Charles Ondo

Unused Sub
Sam Taylor

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account