Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 October 2022

Match Reports


4 October 2022

Fighting display earns Town a point on the road

- Luton Town 3-3 Huddersfield Town
- Sorba Thomas, Jordan Rhodes and Ben Jackson on the scoresheet
- Mark Fotheringham earns first point as Head Coach

Huddersfield Town and Luton Town contested an action-packed 3-3 draw in the Sky Bet Championship at Kenilworth Road on Tuesday night.

Mark Fotheringham’s team took the lead twice in the first half through Sorba Thomas and Jordan Rhodes, but unfortunately trailed 3-2 at the interval.

However, a spirited second-half performance and Ben Jackson’s first senior goal for the Club ensured that the Terriers would return to west Yorkshire with a point to show for their efforts.

Town started the first half brightly and took the lead in the 11th minute!

Jackson did well to win a corner down the left-hand side, which was taken by Thomas. The Welsh international’s delivery evaded everybody in the crowded penalty area and nestled in the bottom right corner of the net!

The hosts drew level seven minutes later through Adebayo, whose shot from inside the area found the net despite the best efforts of Lee Nicholls and Michał Helik.

That seemed to spark the match into life with Nicholls producing a sharp stop low to his right to thwart Jordan Clark.

Town then regained the lead thanks to Rhodes! The striker coolly slotted his fourth goal of the season and 95th in Town colours from the penalty spot after Dan Potts had handled a Thomas corner.

However, the lead lasted just five minutes as Adebayo latched onto a long ball over the top and struck again from close range.

Momentum was now swinging in Luton’s favour and the hosts took the lead for the first time in first-half stoppage time. The ball fell kindly to Clark who poked home after a lengthy James Bree run.

With work to do in the second half Head Coach Mark Fotheringham made a change at the break, introducing Ollie Turton in place of Luke Mbete.

Indeed Town started with added bite, Turton contesting a firm but fair 50-50 with a Luton man.

David Kasumu, Thomas and Duane Holmes then all produced crosses that narrowly evaded a team-mate within five minutes of the restart as the Terriers pushed for an equaliser.

After a 15-minute period lacking any goalmouth action of note Nicholls was forced into action, repelling a strong Fred Onyedinma effort to safety.

That stop proved pivotal as the Terriers restored parity in the 70th minute! A Thomas corner, which was won by skilful play from substitute Connor Mahoney, found its way to Jackson at the back post who turned in his first goal senior Town goal.

The hosts continued to pose a threat with Adebyao heading over twice in quick succession and Harry Cornick finding Nicholls’ midriff from range.

Town were then reduced to 10 men in stoppage time as Kasumu was dismissed for a second bookable offence but their defence, boosted by the returning Will Boyle in the 89th minute, held firm.

Town’s team (3-4-1-2)

Lee Nicholls; Tom Lees, Michał Helik, Luke Mbete (Ollie Turton, 45’); Sorba Thomas, David Kasumu, Etienne Camara (Will Boyle, 89’) Ben Jackson (Kaine Kesler-Hayden, 81’); Duane Holmes (Jack Rudoni, 81’); Danny Ward, Jordan Rhodes (Connor Mahoney, 64’)

Unused substitutes

Nicholas Bilokapic, Josh Ruffels


Sorba Thomas (11’); Jordan Rhodes (32’); Ben Jackson (70’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account