Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 November 2023

Town draw against Watford in the Sky Bet Championship

- Huddersfield Town 0-0 Watford 
- Clean sheet for Lee Nicholls
- Draw at home in the Sky Bet Championship

It ended all square at the John Smith's Stadium this afternoon in our Sky Bet Championship fixture against Watford.

Under the poor weather in Huddersfield, the Terriers put out a strong performance and looked positive, despite the result finishing goalless.

The first chance of the game for Town came in the fifth minute as Ben Wiles pushed through on goal. He sent a nice ball to Kyle Hudlin who was being held back, but the striker’s touch back to Wiles gave him the space for a shot. However, this effort was blocked by the Watford defence in the box.

Matty Pearson then blocked a cross from Watford, with the following clearance from Helik hitting Ken Sema in the face and going out for a goal kick. Sema was down for a few minutes while being treated for a head injury, but continued.

Great pressing from Hudlin meant that the Daniel Bachmann was rushed into clearing the ball from a pass back, this ball rebounded off the striker and went out for a goal kick to Watford, but it set the tone for how Town wanted to defend off the ball.

Another free kick was awarded just inside the attacking half for Town after a foul on Jaheim Headley. Thomas stepped up and took the set piece directly into the box, but there was too much power behind it and despite Michał Helik getting his head to it, it went out for a Watford throw in.

There was a chance for Ben Jackson to open the scoring in the 28th minute after Yuta Nakayama outplayed his man and showed his strength before he played the ball to Wiles, who then sent a great ball across the field to Jackson’s feet. Jackson carried the ball to the box and shot, but the ‘keeper scooped up the ball, despite it going through the Watford defenders.

Headley did well on the wing and carried the ball into the midfield area just outside the box, where he sent the ball to Jackson on the edge, Jackson had his second chance within 10 minutes, but this was blocked and rebounded back to his feet. Playing on the right wing this afternoon, Jackson passed the ball short to Thomas, who’s shot from inside the box was saved at the near post by Bachmann.

Just before half-time, Nakayama regained possession on the side of the box with a great tackle and was then fouled by Yáser Asprilla, who he had just stolen the ball from.

After a strong first half for Town and two minutes added at the end of the first 45 minutes, we went into the break all square.

Our visitors started the second half quickly with a fast shot from Asprilla the opening minute of the restart, who forced Lee Nicholls to push the ball around the post and out for a corner, which was dealt with well by Town and didn’t amount to anything.

Pearson dealt with Sema’s attack well as he put his foot in to take the ball on the byline, Town were then awarded a free kick as Sema held back the defender as he tried to clear the ball from the dangerous area.

Watford went close to taking the lead in the 62nd minute as Jamal Lowe shot from just inside the box, but this was fired straight at Jackson and cleared. Helik was forced to make another block just a minute later and denied our visitors the chance to open the scoreline.

This was shortly followed by a chance for our Terriers on the counter-attack after great play from Headley down the left, he squared the ball to Wiles just outside the box but this shot went high and over the bar from range.

A burst of energy from both sides as Watford went back on the attack in the 65th minute, Lowe had another shot on target from close range, but this was saved by Nicholls as he kept the score level.

Ismaël Koné, a second half substitute for Watford, fancied his chances from range and shot from outside the box, but this went high and over Nicholls’ goal.

Town were awarded a free kick after another foul on Headley just inside the attacking half, Thomas sent the ball straight into the box and found the head of Pearson, but this went wide of the net.

The Hornets were then awarded a free kick of their own, closer to their target, Sema stepped up and found the head of Francisco Sierralta, but this went wide of Nicholls’ net.

Tom Lees produced a great defensive header to deny Watford the winning goal in the final moments of added time.

Despite seven minutes being added to the end of the game, it finished 0-0 in this afternoon’s Sky Bet Championship fixture against Watford.

Town's Team (3-4-3)
Lee Nicholls; Matty Pearson, Michał Helik (c), Tom Lees; Ben Jackson, Ben Wiles, Rarmani Edmonds-Green (Josh Ruffels, 87'), Yuta Nakayama; Sorba Thomas, Kyle Hudlin (Brahima Diarra, 73'), Jaheim Headley

Unused Subs 
Chris Maxwell, Josh Austerfield, Luke Daley, Tom Iorpenda

Gate - 18,225

Away Visitors - 969

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account