Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


26 November 2022

Match Reports


26 November 2022

Trialist Brody Peart scores our goal

- Huddersfield Town Under-19s lose at Hartlepool United
- Substitute Brody Peart scores the Town goal
- Young Terriers cannot capitalise on possession

The Huddersfield Town Under-19 side suffered a frustrating afternoon in the North East on Saturday, losing 2-1 at Hartlepool United in the latest EFL Youth Alliance fixture of the campaign.

The Young Terriers dominated possession on the day but found themselves with a two-goal deficit in the opening 35 minutes and could not recover despite a goal from trialist Brody Peart.

Town took control of the ball from the first whistle and created a steady flow of chances, with the first coming inside eight minutes when left back Joseph Johnson stepped infield to curl wide of the far post from around 20 yards out following a short corner routine.

Centre back Freddie Fletcher found Fope Deru’s infield run with a fantastic, drilled through-pass in the 16th minute, but the winger fired his shot to close to the goalkeeper to spurn a great opportunity to put his side ahead.

Deru (pictured above) turned creator three minutes later, winning the ball on halfway and finding Hakeem Sandah’s run to his left. The midfielder got the ball onto his favoured right foot, but a combination of defender and goalkeeper managed to block his eventual shot.

At the other end, Hartlepool’s first foray into the Town area led to the game’s opener. Goalkeeper Sam Taylor successfully punched a free kick out of his area initially, but the winger was allowed to advance all the way down the dead ball line from the resulting throw-in before pulling back for a teammate to turn home at close range.

The Hartlepool second came in the 34th minute. Although Taylor made a good initial save, the defence couldn’t effectively clear the rebound and a home man tapped home.

The hosts almost scored a third in identical fashion before the interval, but thankfully it was ruled out for offside on the follow-up.

Town did reduce the arrears just before the hour mark when trialist Peart did excellently to get across his defender at the back post before sending a controlled volley past the goalkeeper from Johnson’s deep, in-swinging cross.

George Danaher’s side pushed hard for the equaliser afterwards and thought they had found the second in the 69th minute. Midfielder Dylan Helliwell’s shot was saved by the goalkeeper, from which Deru stepped onto the rebound to slam the ball home – only for the assistant’s flag to deny him.

Hartlepool defended well to frustrate the Young Terriers thereafter, but Town did have two very presentable chances before the game’s end. First substitute Temi Okuwa set Deru away on the counter-attack and the captain’s pass inside the full back sent Peart clear, but his shot from a narrowing angle was tame and the goalkeeper saved.

There were heads in Town hands two minutes later when Tyree Sanusi missed a golden opportunity. Helliwell found him and his first touch was perfect as he entered the penalty area, but the ball bobbled badly as he looked to fire home and ensure the ball flew way over the crossbar.

Town’s team (4-2-3-1)
Sam Taylor; Omari Mrisho, Freddie Fletcher (Archie Sheppard, 46’), Michael Parker (Ajay Weston, 46’), Joseph Johnson; Dylan Helliwell, Daniel Vost (Temi Okuwa, 62’); Cian Philpott (Tyree Sanusi, 62’), Hakeem Sandah (Brody Peart, 46’), Fope Deru (c); Hazeem Bakre

Brody Peart (57’)

Freddie Fletcher (45+2’), Archie Sheppard (50’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account