Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 December 2018

Sponsored by

Tough, fiery encounter caps off 2018

- Huddersfield Town Under-19s draw against Wigan Athletic
- Aaron Rowe and Rarmani Edmonds-Green score for the Terriers
- Goalkeeper Ryan Schofield saves a late penalty

Huddersfield Town’s Under-19 side ended 2018 with a hard-earned 2-2 draw with Wigan Athletic in a fiery encounter at PPG Canalside.

Played in the December rain and wind, the game had several chances aside from the four goals scored, as well as several other flashpoints between two competitive teams.

First Team squad member Ryan Schofield (pictured above) played in goal for the Young Terriers and made several impressive saves throughout the 90 minutes; one coming from the penalty spot to keep the scores level.

The Latics had the majority of the ball on the afternoon, but both sides carried a threat from the early stages. After Schofield had saved a routine free-kick inside 90 seconds, impressive attacker Dom Tear had a very presentable chance barely a minute later.

Tear, whose attacking runs off the ball caused Wigan’s defence problems during the first-half, nicked the ball off a centre back and advanced, rounding the advancing goalkeeper in the process. Unfortunately, that drove him wide and he missed the target with his shot from a narrowing angle.

Wigan’s major threat came down the Town left all afternoon and that route almost paid dividends in the 10th minute. Town centre back Romoney Crichlow-Noble gave the ball away in a dangerous position and the resulting cross found the striker, who diverted the ball onto the crossbar at full stretch.

It was Mark Hudson’s side that took the lead in the 14th minute, thanks in a large part to great work from skipper Scott High. The midfielder first tested the goalkeeper with a free-kick from range and when the ball was kept alive, it found its way back to Scott. He found a good forward run from Aaron Rowe with an impressive reverse pass into the area and Rowe capitalised, getting onto his right foot and sliding the ball past the custodian.

Sadly for the home fans, the lead only lasted two minutes. Centre back Rarmani Edmonds-Green sold High slightly short with a square pass and Wigan capitalised, working the ball to the Town left and then into the area for the striker to smash home.

Schofield made a great one-handed save low to his right side to deny the Wigan winger in the 22nd minute and the Terriers fought back, retaking the lead on the stroke of the half hour.

Striker Micah Obiero battled hard all afternoon and he won his side a free-kick on the left side. High stepped up and played the ball to the back post where Edmonds-Green’s late run was unchecked, allowing the defender to head the ball back across goal and inside the far post for his first of the season.

Schofield soon denied Wigan with another top reaction stop before things got a little heated, with Town reacting to a bad foul on Tear. A horde of players got involved, earning two Wigan players a yellow card alongside Obiero.

Hudson introduced centre back Oran Thompson and midfielder Josh Austerfield for just their second substitute appearances at this level during the interval and the Latics began to enjoy the majority of possession against the youngsters, who kept their shape and fought hard.

The Wigan number six missed a big chance 10 minutes into the second-half, volleying wide after being picked out superbly at the back post by a deep cross. Schofield also made several routine stops, whilst Rowe’s shot from distance that flew wide was Town’s best effort.

Hudson shuffled his pack to a 4-3-3 formation in the final 20 minutes, limiting Wigan’s chances. However, Schofield was still needed to make a point-blank save with 12 minutes left as another cross from the Town left found the striker in the middle.

The Wigan pressure finally told with nine minutes left as a substitute broke the offside trap, drew the Town goalkeeper and slotted the ball home.

It then looked like Wigan might win it when they were awarded a penalty with just four minutes of normal time remaining; Schofield adjudged to have brought down the second goalscorer. However, Ryan had other ideas and the England Under-20 international flung himself to his right to keep out the spot-kick.

Town’s team (3-4-2-1)
Ryan Schofield; Romoney Crichlow-Noble (Oran Thompson, 46’), Jake Barrett, Rarmani Edmonds-Green (Harry Spratt, 61’); Ben Jackson, Scott High (c) (Jaheim Headley, 46’), Isaac Marriott, Demeaco Duhaney (Josh Austerfield, 46’); Dom Tear (Sam Gibson, 52’), Aaron Rowe (Kit Elliott, 82’); Micah Obiero

Unused subs
Luke Mewitt; Mason O’Malley

Aaron Rowe, 15’; Rarmani Edmonds-Green, 30’

Town bookings
Micah Obiero, 38’; Rarmani Edmonds-Green, 57’; Isaac Marriott, 89’; Josh Austerfield, 90’

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account