Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 March 2023

Match Reports


18 March 2023

Ward goal secures a big away win for the Terriers!

- Millwall 0-1 Huddersfield Town
- A first away win since Neil Warnock’s return
- Danny Ward scores on his 400th league appearance

Town secured a first away win since Neil Warnock’s return after a performance full of discipline and determination at promotion-chasing Millwall, with Danny Ward scoring his first goal of 2023.

Ward emerged from the bench to make his 400th league appearance and netted the vital goal midway through the second half thanks to a first assist for winger Ben Jackson.

The Terriers stifled their hosts increasingly well as the game progressed and deserved the win for their efforts, rewarding the Town faithful who made the journey despite real national travel problems.

Neil Warnock set the team up differently for the game at the Den, with Matty Pearson coming in to replace Danny Ward and Rarmani Edmonds-Green pushing into midfield to keep a close eye on Millwall’s creator Zian Flemming.

The Lions are right in the promotion mix and you could see why, as they use their strengths well. Centre backs Jake Cooper and Charlie Cresswell, alongside others, offer real aerial threat, so they take every opportunity to deliver into the box from set pieces, including from Ryan Leonard’s long throw.

They had the first effort of the game inside five minutes as former Town man Murray Wallace, playing left back, got clear of Josh Koroma before pulling a good ball back to Andreas Voglsammer, who swept his first-time shot just over the crossbar.

One of Leonard’s long throws caused problems just two minutes later, falling to Cresswell. He cut in side from the left and tried his luck from around 20 yards, forcing Tomáš Vaclík to clear the ball with two fists.

The Town bench, led by Ronnie Jepson, were perplexed soon after when Cooper appeared to lead with his arm in an aerial challenge with Jack Rudoni, only for the referee to give the free-kick against the man in pink.

Cresswell had another speculative effort saved by Vaclík as play continued before Town’s first effort came in the 19th minute. A long kick from our goalkeeper fell into Rudoni’s path, and he advanced before letting fly from outside the box, forcing George Long to push his shot around his right-hand post.

Flemming managed to escape Rarmani’s attention on the half hour mark to play a one-two with Honeyman and advance within shooting range, but he sent his placed effort wide of goal. Cresswell and Honeyman tried further efforts from range without success, and then Tom Lees made an excellent sprawling block to deny a home player a clear shot at goal when well positioned at the back post.

Town were dealt a blow when Martyn Waghorn, who had probably enjoyed one of his best halves in our colours, was forced from the field through injury just before the interval, but there was still a big shout for a penalty in added time when his replacement Danny Ward nudged a defender under a long clearance, allowing Josh Koroma to beat Cooper to the ball. He steadied himself to shoot just as a challenge came in from behind, but referee Andy Davies waved away the appeals.

There was still time for Voglsammer to test Vaclík from range, but the Czech Republic international was easily equal to it.

Although the Lions had plenty of shots in the opening 45 minutes, Town’s defensive shape had largely restricted them to efforts from range, which will have pleased Warnock.

The second half continued in similar fashion, with Town frustrating the home side. Flemming blasted a couple of shots well off target from range as the home fans aired their frustration and Gary Rowett rang the chances, bringing on several attackers – only for the Terriers to break the deadlock.

The only goal came in the 67th minute thanks to some good work down both flanks. The initial move came down the right, with Koroma’s deflected cross being cleared by right back McNamara. Josh Ruffels did well to collect and find Ben Jackson down the line, who had enough pace to work the space for the cross. He hit the near post, where Ward was completely unmarked to sweep the ball over Long for his fourth goal of the campaign.

Town defended stoutly for the remainder of the game, again reducing Millwall to shots from range. Sub Oliver Burke fired well wide from an acute angle on the counter before Ryan Leonard’s powerful half volley was deflected wide by the boot of a defender.

Edmonds-Green did brilliantly to block an effort from substitute Esse in the area as the minutes ticked down.

Rowett then threw Cooper into attack for the seven minutes of added time, but the closest Millwall came was when sub Scott Malone hit the crossbar from a completely miscued cross from out wide.

Town’s team (4-5-1)
Tomáš Vaclík; Matty Pearson, Tom Lees, Michał Helik, Josh Ruffels; Josh Koroma, Jonathan Hogg (c), Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Jack Rudoni, Ben Jackson; Martyn Waghorn (Danny Ward, 45’)

Unused substitutes
Nicholas Bilokapic; Joseph Hungbo, David Kasumu, Etienne Camara, Tyreece Simpson, Brahima Diarra

Town bookings
Matty Pearson (37’), Martyn Waghorn (43’), Josh Koroma (62’)

Town are back in action when Middlesbrough visit the John Smith’s Stadium on 1 April – get your tickets online HERE!

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account