Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


23 October 2021

Match Reports


23 October 2021

Town beaten on the road

- Huddersfield Town fall to 3-0 defeat
- Goals either side of half-time seal win for Bournemouth
- Town move on to Millwall on Saturday 30 September 2021

Huddersfield Town fell to a 3-0 defeat to AFC Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

A frustrating game for Town saw a brace from Dominic Solanke and Lloyd Kelly either side of half-time saw the Cherries walk away with all three Sky Bet Championship points.

Bournemouth started the brighter of the two sides, holding onto the ball well and winning themselves a corner in the fourth minute. Thankfully, it was cleared well by Naby Sarr, and then Sorba Thomas.

Town had a half chance just moments later, as Fraizer Campbell worked well to get the ball from Cahill. Unfortunately for Town’s striker, he was chased down before he could get off a shot.

The eighth minute saw the hosts handed a penalty as Ollie Turton brought down Solanke in the box. Solanke stepped up to take it, and sent Nicholls the wrong way to put Bournemouth ahead.

The game began to settle for a period, with Bournemouth holding the majority of possession.

The Terriers were given a free kick in a great position in the 17th minute following a foul on Harry Toffolo. However, Bournemouth defended Thomas’ free kick well, with Mark Travers able to punch it clear.

The hosts doubled their lead just moments later. Ryan Christie clipped the ball in to Philip Billing, who nodded it over to Solanke to hit home from close range.

A big chance fell Town’s way in the 29th minute. Gavin Kilkenny brought down Josh Koroma on the edge of the box. Thomas tried an effort from the free kick, but it fired well over.

Gary Cahill took a chance of his own a minute later, but his drive was straight at Lee Nicholls.

The final chance of the first half fell to Town in the 35th minute. Some good work from Thomas saw the ball break to Campbell, but his shot from range couldn’t find the target.

Bournemouth started the second half as they had the first, with an early strike from Christie being well saved by Nicholls.

Town began to press well high up the field and created an opening for Campbell, but Bournemouth were able to block his strike.

The hosts added their third goal in the 65th minute. Kelly was first to meet Christie’s cross, and sent it past Nicholls from close range.

Second half substitute Danny Ward almost had the perfect start to his introduction. The forward had the ball over the line after Koroma’s shot hit the crossbar, but his header was flagged offside.

Bournemouth tried their luck at a fourth, but Matty Pearson produced an excellent block to deny Morgan Rogers.

The hosts tried a few late challenges in the closing minutes, but the final whistle eventually blew, seeing Bournemouth walk away with the win.

Town’s Line-Up (3-4-3)

Lee Nicholls; Naby Sarr (Danel Sinani, 56’), Tom Lees, Matty Pearson; Harry Toffolo, Lewis O’Brien, Jonathan Hogg, Ollie Turton; Josh Koroma, Fraizer Campbell (Duane Holmes, 62‘), Sorba Thomas (Danny Ward, 70’)

Unused Subs

Nicholas Bilokapic; Rolando Aarons, Josh Ruffels, Scott High

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account