Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 December 2020

Match Reports


15 December 2020

Strong performance from the Young Terriers ends in narrow defeat

- Huddersfield Town beaten on penalties in FA Youth Cup Third Round
- Pat Jones put the Young Terriers ahead before Newcastle equalised before the break
- Jon Worthington’s side were edged as the tie went to spot kicks

The Young Terriers were narrowly beaten by Newcastle at the John Smith’s Stadium on Tuesday night, exiting the FA Youth Cup following a penalty shoot-out.

They put in a valiant effort throughout the 120 minutes, dominating the ball and pushing their opponents to the limit, but ultimately couldn’t find a winner and were edged in the cruellest of ways.

In the opening 10 minutes they dominated the ball, pressing high and stamping their authority on the game. It was the away side though that had the first effort on goal, but Josh Harrison’s low, curling strike was easily collected by Nicholas Bilokapic.

This was followed by some good movement of the ball by Jon Worthington’s side, stretching their opponents, and a few minutes later managed to get their first shot off through Pat Jones, who fired over the bar from distance.

The early pressure would eventually pay off, and after a good spell, Brahima Diarra, who made his First Team debut at the weekend, worked the ball to Jones again down the left and this time the forward made no mistake, scoring the opener on the half hour mark.

The Welshman cut inside onto his right foot before unleashing a powerful effort towards goal. His strike was on target, although a deflection off Newcastle’s Harry Barclay completely outfoxed Oliver Marshall in goal.

At this point the Magpies sparked into life, responding well to the setback with a couple of chances of their own, but they were well dealt with by the Young Terriers.

First, a short back pass from David Adewoju was picked up by Dylan Stephenson, although Loick Ayina was quick to the danger, blocking the midfielder’s shot in the area.

Then moments later Joe White looked to force a dangerous attack, unleashing an effort from range that had to be tipped over Bilokapic.

It seemed as if Town would hold out until the break, but a rapid set piece routine from the visitors saw Harrison played in down the right, and the striker made sure the sides went in level at break with a low strike into the far corner.

After the restart it was end to end, and both sides had guilt edged opportunities, but failed to take the lead thanks to good work from both ‘keepers.

Town’s two chances fell to Jones again, who’s shot was blocked by Marshall, and Myles Bright, who’s tricky footwork nearly got the ball around the ‘keeper and in the net, but he was denied by a slight touch and the ball was subsequently cleared.

At the other end of the field Bilokapic had some work to, first coming out to put off Anderson, who chipped over, and then denied Stephenson from close range moments later.

The tie settled down the frantic start to the half, and Town once again took a firm grip on proceedings.

More good chances came the way of Worthy’s side, but on each occasion the Magpies were equal to it, with Marshall notably making great, diving save to deny Bright again.

Despite the pressure and positive play throughout the half, they couldn’t work the perfect opportunity to retake the lead, and it became frantic once again as both sides committed numbers forward in search of a winner.

Defences remained on top, and it remained 1-1 come full time, meaning an extra half an hour was to be played to settle the tie.

The first bit of action in the additional period came the way of Newcastle, with Harrison played in on goal. The striker set himself before unleashing a powerful strike, but Bilokapic yet again reacted quickly, making a fine save.

It was the Young Terriers’ turn to respond, and they did so well. First, Diarra showed his excellent skill to beat three men, before having an effort blocked en route to goal.

Then in the following minutes Falls, who was free at the back post, could only direct a header straight at Marshall following a pinpoint cross to the striker from substitute Darnel Baxter-Alleyne.

Town pushed harder for a second as the clock ran down, but also had to remain wary of the threat the visitors posed on the counter.

The visitors nearly snatched it at the death on two occasions, but both times were denied by the post, and Town managed to hold out to a penalty shootout.

It was a tense shootout in an eerily quiet stadium, with no margin for error as it was a sudden death situation.

The Young Terriers replied to Newcastle’s first two penalties calmly, although despite their best efforts up to that point, it would ultimately end in heartbreak, as Marshall managed to get a glove on Fall’s low strike, and the visitors went on to win it with a fifth and final spot kick.

Town’s team (4-3-3)

Nicholas Bilokapic; Shane Maroodza, David Adewoju (Josh Okpolokpo, 116’), Loick Ayina (c), Brodie Spencer; Etienne Camara, Myles Bright (Ernaldo Krasniqi, 97’), Brahima Diarra; Pat Jones, Conor Falls, Donay O’brien-Brady (Darnel Baxter-Alleyne, 91’)

Unused subs

Michael Roxburgh, Michael Stone, Sonny Whittingham, Andre Edionhon


Pat Jones 30’,

Final score

Huddersfield Town 1-1 Newcastle United (3-5 on penalties)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account