Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 November 2019

Young Terriers gain a point in their second Premier League Cup group game

- Town’s Under-19s draw with Wigan Athletic
- Micah Obiero scores for the Young Terriers
- Further Premier League Cup games to follow
Huddersfield Town’s Premier League Cup Group Stage campaign continued with a 1-1 draw against Wigan Athletic at the County Ground on Monday night.
Dean Whitehead’s team responded well to pressure from Wigan Athletic to keep the score square after both teams scored goals in the first half.
It was Wigan who gained the first few chances in the opening minutes, pushing forward only to find themselves blocked by George Alfieri.
They gained the opening goal in the 14th minute, when a superb save from Luke Mewitt created a rebound that fell to Wigan’s winger, Harry Jolley, who pulled the ball back for Olly Crankshaw to tap home.
Town responded well to the goal to create their first chance of the game. A spell of great play saw Isaac Marriott play a good ball to Will McCamley. McCamley passed to Ilounga Pata on the right, who’s infield pass found captain Scott High. He played to Sharrock-Peplow, but his cross was blocked.
The chance seemed to motivate the Young Terriers and less than two minutes after Wigan’s opener Town had bagged the equaliser. Isaac stole the ball from Wigan in a dangerous position and played it to Micah Obiero, who finished smartly to pop the ball into the back of the net and level the score!
Mewitt provided two strong saves towards the end of the first half to deny Wigan two more chances. The first saw Wigan’s left back provide a good effort only to be met by a great catching save from Mewitt, who plucked the ball out the air.
The second saw Wigan’s winger head the ball towards the unmarked back post, but Mewitt was quick to deny it and hold the score level for Town.
Both teams continued to search for a winner in the second half, but it was Town who found the first chance when the game got back under way. Sharrock-Peplow put in a high ball which was diverted by Wigan’s keeper, he played it back to Kit, but his effort hit the side of the goal.
Akinola continued to build momentum for Town and intercepted Wigan’s pass, taking the opportunity to break forward. Kit Elliott took a strike from a distance, but it wasn’t enough to worry the keeper.
In the 72nd minute Wigan showcased their best chance to score a second goal, when Jolley whipped a ball towards their striker who was set up perfectly to score. However, Mewitt denied it and then unleashed an unbelievable save to deny the rebound. The ball did then find its way into the net, but it was offside.
Town continued to have some strong chances in the remainder of the second half, but none were quite enough to give them the edge over Wigan.
Town’s team (4-2-3-1)
Luke Mewitt; Ilounga Pata; Sam Sharrock-Peplow; George Alfieri (Luke Daley, 62’); Nassim Kherbouche; Isaac Marriott;
Will McCamley; Scott High (c); Kit Elliott; Tim Akinola (Remi Thompson, 81’); Micah Obiero
Unused substitutes
Seth Meeson; Michael Roxburgh; Darnell Mintus
Town bookings
Will McCamley (27’); Nassim Kherbouche (39’)

Advertisement block