Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 July 2016

The Reds win the inaugural Shankly Trophy

- Liverpool FC wins the Shankly Trophy
- 2-0 win at the John Smith's Stadium for Jurgen Klopp's side
- Record gate for a HTAFC pre-season friendly

Liverpool FC was the inaugural winner of the Shankly Trophy in a friendly game worthy of the great man, Bill, at the John Smith’s Stadium this evening.

The game was played in front of a record crowd for a pre-season friendly at Huddersfield Town, with over 21,200 inside the ground to watch a hotly contested game.

Liverpool’s new signing Marko Grujic’s first half strike gave the visitors a lead that was never relinquished and was added to in the final minutes through Alberto Moreno’s late penalty.

Despite this, the Terriers showed glimpses of great play at times and tested the Reds’ new stopper Loris Karius on a few occasions.

New signing Elias Kachunga was the first player to try his luck with a shot from 25 yards that wen wide before Rajiv van La Parra had similar luck from range minutes later.

Sadio Mane returned the favour on the quarter hour mark before sticking the ball in the net soon after, only to be a pulled up for a foul on goalkeeper Joel Coleman having chased down an errant back-pass.

Jack Payne sent a hurried snapshot well wide after 20 minutes after Mark Hudson knocked down Chris Löwe’s ball into the box and then Joe Lolley tested Karius to the full with a shot from 20 yards that needed turning around the post.

Then came the first goal. Good movement from Mane down the Town left created space for Roberto Firmino to run into and his pull-back found Grujic, who took one touch before expertly half volleying the ball between Coleman and the near post.

Things almost went from bad to worse a couple of minutes later when Liverpool earned a penalty. Mane’s run behind the defence was picked out by Coutinho and he reached the ball before Coleman, who brought him down. However, the former Oldham stopper redeemed himself; diving right to keep out the Brazilian’s spot kick!

Mane shot wide again from right back Randall’s pull back as Liverpool enjoyed a good spell to end the half, when wholesale changes followed on both sides.

Town started the second half in good fashion, with Kyle Dempsey firing wide from Cranie’s low cross.

Liverpool suffered a 64th minute blow when midfielder Lucas limped off the field. With no outfield subs remaining, Klopp sent young goalkeeper Shamal George on up front!

Town pushed hard for an equaliser, but were restricted to shots from range. Philip Billing twice tried his luck only to miss the target after Dempsey went as close as anyone, collecting youngster Rekeil Pyke’s knockdown before driving forward and firing just wide from 25 yards.

In the end, it was Liverpool who scored the second goal of the game when youngster Ben Woodman was felled by Cranie for a second penalty. This time Alberto Moreno made no mistake, sending Town’s Under-21 ‘keeper Luke Coddington the wrong way from the spot.

Town’s first half team (4-2-3-1):
Joel Coleman; Chris Löwe, Christopher Schindler, Mark Hudson (c), Tommy Smith; Jonathan Hogg, Aaron Mooy; Rajiv van La Parra, Jack Payne, Joe Lolley; Elias Kachunga

Town’s second half team (4-2-3-1):
Luke Coddington; Jason Davidson, Michael Hefele, Jon Goren Stankovic, Martin Cranie; Philip Billing (Regan Booty, 88), Dean Whitehead; Harry Bunn, Kyle Dempsey, Sean Scannell; Elias Kachunga (Rekeil Pyke, 73)

Unused sub:
Jordan Williams

Gate: 21,166
Visitors: 3,415

Advertisement block