Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


16 September 2014


A 0-0 draw between Chris Powell’s Huddersfield Town and visitors Wigan Athletic seemed a fair result after the two sides were unable to break either down, in a game, which saw defensive prowess prevail in the end. 

A solid start from the home side was followed by some steady spells of possession from Uwe Rosler’s Wigan, who pressed Town for the later stages of the first half. 

It wasn’t all plain sailing for the former FA Cup winners when Conor Coady’s tireless work seemed to panic Wigan keeper Scott Carson, but the experienced goalie managed to turn away from any danger. 

Carson came to the rescue again for Wigan, after striker Nahki Wells found himself behind the Latics defensive line - however an advancing Carson quickly pounced on Wells’ chipped attempt. 

Shortly before the interval Wigan’s Callum McManaman seemed to take a tumble in the home penalty area, though referee Sebastian Stockbridge saw this as simulation and awarded the Wigan striker a yellow card for his theatrics. 

Chris Powell saw fit to start the second half with a change of personnel, replacing Danny Ward with Sean Scannell. 

Although, the second half started in a similar fashion to the first’s end, with Wigan appearing happy to hold the ball in the Terriers’ half. 

Emyr Huws forced a reaction save from Alex Smithies after James Perch broke away down the right hand flank just after the break. 

Not long after Conor Coady’s lapse in concentration resulted in Andy Delort failing to capitalize and hit the target. 

More changes followed as the second half progressed, with Huddersfield introducing Murray Wallace for injured central defender Joel Lynch. 

Rosler’s changes came in the shape of James McClean, James Tavernier and Oriol Riera who replaced Callum McManaman, Andrew Taylor and Andy Delort. 

Approaching the 85-minute mark Huddersfield had an opportunity to snatch all three points when substitute Sean Scannell was released down the right wing - the tricky winger fired the ball across the face of Carson’s goal, however Nahki Wells and Jon Stead’s joint effort failed to beat the Wigan goalkeeper. 

The game finished in a rather pedestrian manner with both sides seemingly accepting a point each, despite a last minute corner to the home side – which was neither here nor there and sailed wide of the Wigan goal.

A point for each still sees the two sides separated by three points. 

Manager Chris Powell will be hoping to get a first win under his belt in his side’s next fixture away to Leeds United this Saturday.

Town’s team vs Wigan (4-3-3):
Alex Smithies; Jack Robinson, Joel Lynch (Murray Wallace, 75), Mark Hudson, Tommy Smith; Conor Coady, Lee Peltier (c), Jacob Butterfield; Nahki Wells, Jon Stead, Danny Ward (Sean Scannell, 46)

Unused subs:
Joe Murphy, Paul Dixon, Joe Lolley, Harry Bunn, Radoslaw Majewski

Advertisement block