Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 November 2014


Huddersfield Town extended their unbeaten run to seven games after an impressive 3-0 home win against Nottingham Forest at the John Smith’s Stadium. 

Two first half headers gave Chris Powell’s side a convincing first-half lead - Joel Lynch opened the scoring against his former club after just 44 seconds with a towering header from a long Jack Robinson throw-in.

The Terriers’ second was a stooping header from striker Nahki Wells, making his 150th league appearance. The in-form front man latched on to a cross from his strike partner Grant Holt who now has three assists this season.

The visitors did however have chances to reduce the deficit, though Town’s resilient defence stood firm. Joel Lynch’s desire to protect his side’s clean sheet was clear, after the Welsh defender denied Tom Ince a debut goal with a heroic lunging challenge.

Chris Powell’s side kept the pressure on as Man of the Match Sean Scannell burst up the right flank in familiar fashion, giving Forest’s defenders little hope of anticipating the wide-man’s next move. 

Scannell’s opposite winger, Harry Bunn, had a chance before the interval to give Town a 3-0 lead – however Forest ‘keeper Karl Darlow was equal to Bunn’s powerful effort. 

The second half resumed similarly to the first as both sides advanced with real intent. Forest utilized the pace of midfielder Michail Antonio and striker Britt Assombalonga however, Town’s defence kept the pair at bay. 

It took Town 53 minutes to extend their lead to three, and it was another former Forest man who sealed the victory for The Terriers. 

Grant Holt received a weighted pass on the edge of the area from Scannell before lashing his 150th league goal into the Forest net - his second goal of the campaign. 

The visitors were left we no other choice but to make three tactical changes. Stuart Pearce replaced David Vaughan, Eric Lichaj and Robert Tesche with Ben Osborn, Jack Hunt and Chris Burke to reinvigorate his travelling Reds. 

Nevertheless, Forest could not break through Town’s back-line despite their best efforts. Alex Smithies was forced to make a brilliant save, as the approaching Britt Assombalonga charged toward the Town net. 

Tom Ince also came close for The Reds, however his close-range effort rolled wide of Smithies’ near post just after the 73rd minute. Though, it was Chris Burke who came closest to reducing Town’s lead as his thunderous effort struck the underside of Alex Smithies’ cross bar. 

Powell decided to mirror Pearce’s earlier second-half alterations with three substitutions of his own. Lee Peltier came on against his former club, replacing goal-scorer Wells. 

Scannell also made way for Danny Ward and finally Martin Paterson replaced Town’s third goal-scorer Holt. 

The win gives The Terriers 15 points from a possible 21, and boosts them to 14th position in the Sky Bet Championship table. 

Town face Derby County in their next league fixture at the Pride Park Stadium and will look to stretch their unbeaten run to eight games, after Derby fell short in a 2-1 loss away to Brentford in their last outing. 

Town’s team (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Jack Robinson, Joel Lynch, Mark Hudson (c), Tommy Smith; Harry Bunn, Jacob Butterfield, Conor Coady, Sean Scannell (Danny Ward, 86); Grant Holt Martin Paterson, 90), Nahki Wells (Lee Peltier, 80)

Unused subs: 

Joel Murphy, Paul Dixon, Murray Wallace, Anthony Gerrard

Gate: 15,317
Away: 3,011

Advertisement block