Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


22 December 2012

Simon buoyed by Selhurst Park performance

Simon Grayson was pleased with his side’s performance against third in the table Crystal Palace and believes his team showed glimpses of what is to come over the next few weeks.

The game was a topsy-turvy affair with the home side being reduced to ten men before Town missed a penalty and then went behind when Wilfried Zaha fired from close range. Town leveled through Keith Southern before Anthony Gerrard was shown a very harsh red card.

“When the game was 11 vs. 11 I felt that we had some decent opportunities and were playing well; their ‘keeper made a number of good saves to prevent us from going ahead,” said Simon. “We were playing brightly, attacking well and putting them under pressure. 

“We went back to 4-4-2 today and tried to stop them playing; we tried to stop them getting the ball out on to the wings. We also tried to impose our game on to them and I think everyone saw glimpses of what is to come over the coming weeks. We have got players coming back from injury who made an impression on the game.”

Sean Scannell returned to his old haunt this evening and Simon was pleased with the winger’s display, which included him winning Town’s penalty in the first half.

“We kept him out of the firing line last week because we wanted him to have a mini pre-season ahead of today’s game. When he suffered his hamstring injury we rushed him back slightly, so we gave him a little bit of time to get back fit. He looked fitter and stronger today and was able to run at people. We asked him to get the ball and run at the full-back and he was a massive threat when he did that. I was delighted with his performance.”

Unfortunately for the Terriers Adam Clayton’s tame penalty was comfortably saved by Julian Speroni.

“I don’t think there is penalty taker in the country who hasn’t missed one before. Adam stepped up and missed, but I am sure that he will be looking to claim the next one,” commented Simon. “It was disappointing, but we showed a lot of resilience to get back in to the game after going behind.”

Town had to play the last ten minutes with ten men after Gerrard was shown a red card a decision Simon was left bewildered by.

“It surprised and amazed me,” he told “He made a perfectly good tackle and because the player has gone down the referee thinks that he has to send him off. Anthony’s foot wasn’t high and he didn’t jump in, it was a good tackle. I want him to make that tackle on the edge of his box and we will appeal against the decision.”

Gerrard’s centre half partner Joel Lynch will miss the Boxing Day clash with Blackpool after receiving his fifth caution of the season.

“That was a shocking decision by Joel to make a tackle in that position. It gives Peter Clarke an opportunity to regain his place and also one to our young talent Murray Wallace. I have got a lot of faith in Murray’s ability, he won’t let the team down.”

Advertisement block