Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 February 2023

Match Reports


7 February 2023

Town take lead twice but do not win at Bloomfield Road

- Blackpool 2-2 Huddersfield Town
- Goals from Matty Pearson and Josh Koroma
- Terriers took the lead twice

Town drew 2-2 away from home against Blackpool in the Sky Bet Championship after both sides scored very late goals to keep it level, with the Terriers twice blowing leads against their 10-man opponents.

Goals from Matty Pearson and Josh Koroma were only good enough for a point as the men in black could not contain the Tangerines.

The Terriers kicked off the first half and were awarded the first corner of the game in the fifth minute, after Scott High drove the ball forward and sent it to Jack Rudoni on the side of the box. He then crossed it into the area but it was blocked out for a corner. Rudoni’s cross from the set piece was cleared by the head of Curtis Nelson before the ball was picked up again by David Kasumu in attempt to push on, but the ball was eventually cleared for a corner.

A dangerous ball was then played into the Town box, but kicked out by Matt Lowton before Gary Madine could run onto it – both Martyn Waghorn and Kasumu combined to clear Kenny Dougall’s near post delivery.

As Blackpool worked to take the lead at Bloomfield Road, CJ Hamilton received the ball on the side of the box and struck the ball from a difficult angle, but this went high and over the bar.

Town came so close in the 18th minute as Lowton found High’s run down the left side, his low cross fell to the feet of Kasumu, who carried it forwards and managed to squeeze the ball past the Blackpool defenders and to Waghorn at close range by the front post – goalkeeper Chris Maxwell managed to turn the shot wide. Town kept the corner alive and the ball finally dropped to Jonathan Hogg on the edge of the Blackpool are, but he struck his half-volley well wide.

The Seasiders were immediately inches away from taking the lead minutes after one of our defenders got the initial block to Jerry Yates’ attempted shot after Hamilton broke down the left – the rebound fell to Madine, who’s shot went wide.

Our captain fancied his chances yet again from just outside the box after a free kick taken by Jack Rudoni fell to him, but he struck the ball off-balance and it went wide.

Shortly after this, Rudoni was clear down the left, he entered the area but his low ball, which was intended for Waghorn, was cleared by Charlie Goode – the defender appeared to pull his hamstring while doing this and was substituted off and Andy Lyons replaced him.

Town were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous area after Joe Hungbo was fouled by our former loanee James Husband. Rudoni delivered a nice ball into the box but it was scrambled clear by the Blackpool shirts inside the area.

Waghorn was brought down three minutes later on the left side as Town were on the attack, so another free-kick was delivered by Rudoni into the box. This lead to Town’s first goal of the evening in the 36th minute as the ball from the set piece was kept alive in the area and Matty Pearson managed to take the ball and slot it past the right hand side of Maxwell from close range.

In the final play of the five minute injury time at the end of the first half, Madine was shown the red card an apparent elbow to the head of Tom Lees in an aerial challenge – Blackpool were down to 10 men for the second half.

Town started the second half just as brightly as the first as Hungbo won the ball and launched the counter-attack as he dribbled 50-yards before the ball was squared to Rudoni. The midfielder’s pull-back found the feet of Waghorn, but his scuffed effort was easily claimed by Maxwell.

It was then time for our hosts to come close to scoring as Town failed to effectively cleared their lines, which allowed Blackpool the opportunity to press. Dougall eventually fired his shot over the bar from 20 yards out.

As Jaheim Headley came on for his Town debut in place of Ollie Turton, he immediately made his presence known in the game as he dribbled down the left to the edge of the box before he shot towards goal and Maxwell tipped it over the bar.

Blackpool danger man Josh Bowler made his appearance as he came on as a substitute and after a misplaced pass by Brahima Diarra he was given the chance to charge forwards, his attempted through ball had too much on and it ran out of play.

Things then started to unravel for Town. Blackpool equalised in the 84th minute as substitute Lyons volleyed home from 18 yards and got his side back in the game.

However, a minute later, Josh Koroma scored his own stunning goal after great play from Anthony Knockaert. He dribbled forward before he passed to the winger on the left, with Koroma stepping inside and curling a beautiful goal beyond Maxwell’s reach and inside the far post.

However, once again Town were unable to make their numerical advantage count as Blackpool scored a 90th minute equaliser through Bowler.

Town’s Team (4-5-1)
Tomáš Vaclík; Ollie Turton (Jaheim Headley, 64’), Tom Lees, Matty Pearson, Matt Lowton; Joe Hungbo (Anthony Knockaert, 55’), David Kasumu, Jonathan Hogg, Scott High (Brahima Diarra, 64’), Jack Rudoni (Josh Koroma, 79’); Martyn Waghorn (Jordan Rhodes, 79’)

Unused Subs
Nicholas Bilokapic, Will Boyle

Goal Scorers
Matty Pearson (36’), Josh Koroma (84’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account