Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 December 2023

Match Reports


18 December 2023

A narrow defeat sees Oran Thompson and Michael Tonge’s Town side exit competition

- Huddersfield Town U18s 1-2 Charlton Athletic
- Town took the lead through Hazeem Bakre in the second half
- Young Terriers exit the FA Youth Cup

Despite taking the lead early into the second half through striker Hazeem Bakre, our Young Terriers exit the FA Youth Cup third round after a narrow 2-1 defeat to Charlton Athletic's youngsters.

An important fixture for our youngsters as they took part in what is considered the main competition for their age group, Town joined the FA Youth Cup in the third round (just like the First Team join the FA Cup at the third round) and this gives the youngsters not only experience playing under the floodlights at the John Smith’s Stadium, but they also get to play in a serious competition for under-18s only.

Our visitors Charlton Athletic earned their place in the FA Youth Cup third round after they beat their second-round opponents Erith & Belvedere 1-11.

Early into the first half, Charlton made a good block and stopped Town taking the lead after Stafford Clarke found Hazeem Bakre who then used Omari Mrisho to overlap – this cross was cleared to Clarke, but his shot was blocked. Charlton Athletic tried to counter-attack and Patrick Casey’s shot from 20 yards out was deflected over the bar and out for a corner.

A free kick for Town in the 29th minute after a foul on Denim Nnamudi by Alan Mwamba, a good ball was delivered into the box, but we were unfortunately caught offside.

At the other end, impressive Town 'keeper Francis Hurl denied a cross from Henry Rylah from crossing the line by pushing the ball onto the post of the goal – the entire crowd gasped, but he pulled it off and stopped the chance from landing in the back of the net!

With two minutes added to the end of the first half, and a Charlton corner played inside of that time, we went into the break all square.

Town then broke the deadlock in the 57th minute through Bakre! The forward led the counter-attack down the right for Mrisho’s cross to find the head of Tavio Ciccarelli, Jude Sadler saved this brilliantly but Bakre was there and tapped the rebound home.

Hazeem Bakre goal Charlton 16_9.jpg

Our goal scorer almost got his second less than five minutes after his first! Brilliant play was seen down the right after Bakre released Mrisho into space, he then returned the favour with a low cross towards the far post, but Bakre could only poke it wide after sprinting to get to the ball in time.

Despite Town taking the lead, Charlton found their eqauliser through Manu Wales in the 66th minute and then turned the game around with their second goal in the 75th minute. Following a free-kick that was awarded to the visitors after a challenge from Anthony Gregory, which he was shown the yellow card for, striker Casey was able to head home from Kai Enslin’s delivery.

In the 90th minute of the game, Hurl made a great low save and denied Charlton Athletic their third as the fourth official indicated that there would five minutes added to the end of the game.

Town’s Team (3-4-3)
Francis Hurl (c); Alexander Asaba (Milkyas Mebrahtu, 85’), Anthony Gregory, Freddie Fletcher; Omari Mrisho, Dan Vost, Stafford Clarke (Marlie Neil, 89’), Aaron Ojungu; Hazeem Bakre, Tavio Ciccarelli, Denim Nnamudi (Emick Katika, 62’)

Unused Subs
Alex Walpole, Staitham Bowen, Jay Smith-Sway

Goal Scorer
Hazeem Bakre (57’)

Hazeem Bakre (54’), Anthony Gregory (74’)

Gate - 123

Support the Academy by joining the Blue & White members club and you can win some big cash prizes - click HERE to find out more!

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account