Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 August 2023

Second half goal broke from Leicester City the deadlock this afternoon

- Huddersfield Town 0-1 Leicester City
- Second half goal from Leicester City the difference
- Great spirit and effort shown by the Terriers

Despite a performance full of effort from Town, they suffered an unfortunate defeat against Leicester City at the John Smith's Stadium this afternoon in the Sky Bet Championship.

Having been an even side for the entire first half, playing level with Leicester City, Town were unfortunate coem away pointless this afternoon.

The first real action of the game came in the seventh minute after Brahima Diarra retrieved the ball from Josh Koroma, he fancied his chances, but his shot went wide across the goal.

A free-kick was awarded to Leicester City in the 12th minute after a foul from Matty Pearson, but the header that came from the set-piece was anticipated well by Lee Nicholls and he saved the ball that was headed towards the bottom corner.

Koroma produced a good tackle in the Town box as he dispossessed the group of Leicester players who were in the box after their counter-attack, which sees them have a chance to go clean through on goal – our number 10 smartly regained possession and pushed Town forward.

This was shortly followed by a good chance from Koroma as Brahima took the ball inside the box but didn’t find the space to shoot, so he fed the ball to Koroma who’s shot was blocked by group of defenders in the box and then safely caught by Jakub Stolarczyk.

Nicholls made an incredible save whilst one-on-one with Dennis Praet, which allowed Town to go on the counter-attack before Jack Rudoni was brought down on the edge of the Leicester City box.

Rudoni was brought down once again less than 10 minutes later at the edge of the box, this time by Praet. The set-piece saw Koroma run over the ball and flick it back for Rudoni to run onto the moving ball, but this hit the Leicester wall and was saved by the ‘keeper.

Another chance for Koroma 33 minutes into the game from well outside the box; our number 10 cut inside and struck the ball with so much power behind it from 30 yards out and forced Stolarczyk to push the ball over the bar for a corner.

Michał Helik had his chance just before the break following an excellent quick free-kick taken by Sorba Thomas as his cross into the box was met by a first-time volley from the centre-back at the far post, but this went high over the bar. This meant that we went into the second half with everything still to play for.

The Terriers came out in the second half with great spirit and effort, as they threw everything they had at Leicester City. Diarra had the first chance of the half as he ran into the outside corner of the box and tested the ‘keeper with his shot, forcing a corner.

Strong teamwork shone through this afternoon with Rudoni playing his part in defence as well as attack, he slid into the box to block Praet in the box, and this allowed Nicholls to come in and collect the ball.

It was fairly even for a while after this block with both sides trying to break down the other; the deadlock was broken in the 73rd minute after a goal from Stephy Mavididi with his shot from a narrow angle.

Nicholls then made an incredible in the first minute of added time as he denied Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall the chance to double the lead.

Despite a good performance from our Terriers, Leicester City secured all three points in this afternoon’s Sky Bet Championship fixture.

Town’s Team (4-2-3-1)
Lee Nicholls; Tom Edwards, Michał Helik, Matty Pearson, Josh Ruffels; Jack Rudoni, Jonathan Hogg (c); Sorba Thomas, Brahima Diarra (Pat Jones, 78’), Josh Koroma; Danny Ward (Kian Harratt, 78’)

Unused Subs
Chris Maxwell, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Jordan Rhodes, Kyle Hudlin, Ben Jackson, Yuta Nakayama, Josh Austerfield

Matty Pearson (54’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account