Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 April 2023

Match Reports


14 April 2023

Town’s Under-19s defeated in a friendly against Scunthorpe United

- Scunthorpe United 2-0 Huddersfield Town U19s
- Two goals for Scunthorpe in the second half
- Promising performance despite result at Glanford Park

Huddersfield Town U19s fell to defeat in a friendly against Scunthorpe United on Friday afternoon.

Despite often looking the stronger side, the Young Terriers conceded two goals in the second half against Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park.

The first five minutes consisted of interplay in the midfield as both teams battled it out in hopes of securing that early advantage. The first sign of potential arose for our hosts as they were awarded a corner but the quick reflexes of Michael Acquah ensured the Irons were unable to make a successful breakthrough.

However, the Young Terriers weren’t in the clear. The Irons once again got hold of the ball and despite being presented with another chance, Scunthorpe were unable to get past Town's backline and they were denied a clear shot at goal.

Minutes later, Town were on the ascendancy and the first sign of hope came as Fope Deru was on the attack but his shot went over and out for a goal kick. This didn’t deter the Young Terriers as they continued to press high. Their efforts soon paid off as another chance was presented to them as a result of great play between Fope Deru and Temi Okuwa, but the shot flashed across the face of goal without troubling the goalkeeper.

Twenty minutes in and neither team had taken the advantage. The battle remained in the midfield and the scoreline remained 0-0. Looking confident, our Under 19s displayed unwavering effort and attempted to establish their dominance on the pitch, with Hakeem Sandah finding Fope Deru inside the box, but they were once again denied a goal by the Scunthorpe defence.

Following that earlier missed chance, Hakeem Sandah continued eager to secure an advantage. After successfully carrying the ball up the pitch he crossed the ball into the box but it was too high and went out for a throw in.

In the final five minutes of the first half, a foul from the Irons led to Town being awarded a free kick and a minute later a corner was given to the Under 19s following some hard work from Fope Deru. Dan Vost’s set piece was headed away but the Young Terriers took two more shots at goal after they regained possession.

With the second half underway both sides were keen to take control. Dan Vost was the first to take the opportunity to shoot after a clever move forward, but the ball found the side netting following his strike. This didn’t knock the Young Terriers as they continued to press high against the hosts. In the 63rd minute Town made a substitution as Tyree Sanusi came on for Aaron Ojungu.

The hosts started to gain the upper hand as they managed to win more possession of the ball presenting them with more chances. Getting better, the Irons took more shots at goal but they were unable to get the ball past Michael Acquah as he successfully blocked the ball.

In the 70th minute, Scunthorpe took the advantage as they managed to get one past Towns’ keeper which came off the back of a counter attack. The better side after that opening goal, their advantage told again just 10 minutes later, making the final scoreline 2-0 to our hosts.

TOWN'S TEAM (4-2-3-1)

Michael Acquah; Jay Smith, Freddie Fletcher, Archie Sheppard, Fope Deru (C); Dan Vost, Aaron Ojungu (Tyree Sanusi, 63’); Temi Okuwa, Cian Philpott, Hakeem Sandah; Hazeem Bakre


Francis Hurl

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account