Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 September 2022

Huddersfield Town beaten at home by Wigan Athletic

- Huddersfield Town 1-2 Wigan Athletic
- Tom Lees had equalised in second half
- Will Keane and Callum Lang secure the win for Wigan Athletic

Huddersfield Town fell to a 1-2 Sky Bet Championship defeat against Wigan Athletic on Tuesday evening.

Despite an energetic second half full of chances, the Terriers fell short against Wigan Athletic at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Duane Holmes and Sorba Thomas paired up nicely within the first five minutes after Holmes carried the ball down the pitch and crossed it, trying to find Thomas who's shot was too high and went over the crossbar.

Holmes continued his excellent play as he took the ball down the right side of the pitch and crossed the ball in to Danny Ward; Ward didn't make a clean connection and hit it high and over the crossbar.

This was closely followed by a chance for Wigan Athletic as Will Keane was given the ball on the edge of the box but sent his shot wide.

However, the scoreline didn’t stay goalless as Wigan Athletic were awarded a penalty in the 23rd minute after a foul by Luke Mbete – hit well, the penalty was converted by Keane into the top left corner.

Wigan captain Max Power fancied his chance to double the visitors lead from outside the box but his effort went high and over the bar.

Despite being a goal behind, Town continued to press the away team with Rudoni and Holmes creating chances in order to try and get Town back in the game.

The Terriers tried their chance on the counter, resulting in Rudoni receiving the ball on the edge of the box - but his shot was too high and went well over the bar.

The last action in the first half came from the Latics as Callum Lang’s header from close range landed safely in Nicholls’ gloves, with the Terriers trailing going into the second half.

Town made two changes at the break, introducing Kaine Kesler-Hayden and Pat Jones for Ollie Turton and Sorba Thomas.

Despite that, Wigan had the first chance of the second half after a set piece as Jack Whatmough hit the post with a close range header from a corner and this was closely followed by a free kick for the Latics on the edge of the box, which saw Thelo Aasgaard’s header go wide.

Town started to get back in the game after those close calls and the 61st minute saw a chance for the Terriers when Jack Rudoni shot with his left foot from outside the box, but this was comfortably saved by Jamie Jones in the Wigan net.

Following this chance, Yuta Nakayama has a big opportunity from a Danny Ward cross but his shot was miss-fired over the bar from close range.

Town got themselves on the scoresheet in the 76th minute, with skipper Tom Lees bagging his first goal of the season from the centre of the box following the ball being cleared off the line from a previous attempt, with a Kesler-Hayden cross eventually rolling into Lees' path.

This then kick-started a good period for Town as less than three minutes later substitute Jordan Rhodes hit the woodwork on the underside of the crossbar, which was also closely followed by a shot on target from close range by fellow substitute Pat Jones.

Regardless of these efforts, Wigan Athletic scored their second goal of the evening in the 82nd minute as Lang turned the Town defence and got his shot past Lee Nicholls following a break. 

Town’s Line-Up (3-4-2-1)

Lee Nicholls; Tom Lees, Michał Helik, Luke Mbete (Jordan Rhodes, 65’); Ollie Turton (Kaine Kesler-Hayden, 45’), David Kasumu, Jack Rudoni, Yuta Nakayama; Duane Holmes (Tino Anjorin, 57’), Sorba Thomas (Pat Jones, 45’); Danny Ward 

Unused Subs 

Nicholas Bilokapic; Josh Ruffels; Jon Russell

Town Scorer 

Tom Lees (76’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account