Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


19 November 2022

Match Reports


19 November 2022

Young Terriers fell to defeat on home soil

- Huddersfield Town Under-19s 0-1 Scunthorpe United
- Beaten by a well organised side at the Millers Oils High Performance Complex
- A number of chances to equalise at the end ultimately came to nothing

Town’s Under-19s were defeated despite performing positively against Scunthorpe United in the EFL Youth Alliance League.

The visitors took the lead from the penalty spot shortly before the interval, and subsequently defended well to secure the three points. George Danaher’s side were unable to draw the contest level, despite dominating the ball.

The encounter started with the hosts trying to dictate the tempo. Knocking the ball around nicely, and making effective use of the wide areas, Huddersfield fashioned the first chance.

The ball found Omari Mrisho out on the right, and the full back fizzed it fantastically across the six-yard line. It turned out to be too far in front of joint top-scorer Hazeem Bakre, who failed to connect.

Minutes later, it was United’s turn to attack. Their forward created an opening on the edge of the penalty area and tried to curl into the far corner. The shot was well blocked, and the danger was cleared.

The Iron were limited to a number a half chances during the opening half hour as Town boasted the majority of the possession.

Once the ball was worked into wide positions, the Young Terriers began to threaten. Just before the 30-minute mark, Ajay Weston fired into the box from the left - this appeared to strike the arm of a Scunthorpe defender, but the referee was quick to wave the onrushing claims away.

The official did eventually point to the spot nine minutes after, as the visitors capitalised on some defensive misjudgement, which resulted in their striker tumbling to the ground. The penalty was converted smartly and gave them the advantage going into the break.

With the second half came yet another Weston penalty claim. Almost identical to the first, the left back crossed with hopes of finding a teammate and claimed to find the centre back’s arm instead. The referee disagreed and allowed play to continue.

Danaher’s men came closest shortly after an hour had passed as Bakre was causing trouble yet again, but his powerful strike was well saved by the United stopper.

As time went by, Scunthorpe were looking to double their lead. After failing to convert several half-chances, the ball fell to the feet of their forward at the back post. Fortunately, the number ten’s effort was scuffed and sailed over the framework, so Town’s dream of a draw lived on.

With full time looming, Huddersfield whipped a barrage of crosses into the box in search of a blue and white head. One of which was launched from deep and found Freddie Fletcher, but the commanding stalwart could not get the power required to divert the ball towards goal.

Town failed to find the all-important equaliser despite their best efforts, succumbing to defeat in the league.

Town’s Team (4-2-3-1)
Sam Taylor; Omari Mrisho (Joseph Johnson, 55’), Archie Shephard, Freddie Fletcher (Michael Parker, 45’), Ajay Weston (Tyree Anglian, 57’); Daniel Vost (c), Dylan Helliwell, Hakeem Sandah (Emmanuel Hoto, 57’), Temi Okuwa, Tyree Sanusi; Hazeem Bakre

Unused Subs
Francis Hurl, Michael Stone

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account