Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 November 2022

Match Reports


12 November 2022

Huddersfield Town go into the break with a point

- Huddersfield Town draw with Swansea City
- Clean sheet before the international break
- Town go into the World Cup break with four points from two games

Huddersfield Town drew 0-0 with Swansea City in the Sky Bet Championship at the John Smith’s Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Town kept an excellent defensive structure against arguably the best team in possession in the division, and could have easily won the fixture through some big chances during the latter stages. 

Although the first half started slowly, the game still had its fair share of action.

Despite missing Will Boyle through illness, Town’s defence continued their strong performance from QPR in the week, as they worked hard to ensure dangerous balls played into the box were cleared or blocked at source.

Whilst trying to establish spells on the ball, Town were awarded a free kick just outside the box early in the first half, which was delivered into the Swansea area by Sorba Thomas. Jordan Rhodes met the ball, but his header went just over the bar as the striker was ruled offside.

Swansea forward Joël Piroe received one rare ball on the edge of the box and, although he carried it towards Nicholls’ net, he put his shot well wide whilst under heavy pressure from Helik.

Town probed through some good forward runs from David Kasumu, but Swansea had the next half chance when Ryan Manning crossed the ball into the Town box and found the head of Harry Darling, who directed the ball towards the net. However, Lee Nicholls was there and comfortably caught the ball.

In the last action of the first half, Thomas was fouled just outside the area. He delivered another free kick into the box for Helik to run onto, but the defender couldn't sort his feet out quickly enough and only succeeded in touching the ball wide when well positioned.

Swansea City got the second half started as Piroe had a shot from range on target, but Nicholls made a good save to keep the score level.

Mark Fotheringham started to introduce his substitutes after the hour mark and one, Duane Holmes, fancied his chances of making an impact only a few minutes after he was introduced to the game. He collected the ball and cut in from the left flank onto his right foot, but his shot from range went just wide of the Swansea City goal.

Another free kick saw Thomas make the quick pass down the line to set Holmes into space down the side of the box; he drove the ball into the area, but a defender managed to get back and knee the ball dead.

In the first minute of added time, substitute Danny Ward was denied twice when it looked like Town would take the lead. With centre back Nathan Wood hesitating, Holmes nipped in and lobbed the ball right to Ward, but his well-struck shot was brilliantly saved by Steven Benda.

Town kept the rebound alive, with Holmes getting a foot to the ball and diverting it towards Ward again; this time he beat Benda, only for Wood to get back and clear off the line!

In the 95th minute, Holmes lost the ball in a dangerous area and Swansea crossed into the box, only for Helik to make a massive block and put the ball just past his own net and out for a corner.

The last action of the game saw sub Brahima Diarra drive the ball up the field and take a shot from outside the box. The Frenchman hit the target, but it went too close to the goalkeeper. 

Town’s Team (5-4-1)
Lee Nicholls; Kaine Kesler-Hayden (Duane Holmes, 65’), Tom Lees, Michał Helik, Luke Mbete (Brodie Spencer, 75’), Josh Ruffels; Sorba Thomas, David Kasumu (Brahima Diarra, 86’), Jack Rudoni, Ben Jackson (Connor Mahoney, 86’); Jordan Rhodes (Danny Ward, 65’)

Unused Subs
Nicholas Bilokapic, Loick Ayina

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account