Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


22 November 2022

Match Reports


22 November 2022

Young Terriers take home a point in the Central League after an action-packed game

- Huddersfield Town B draw against Preston North End
- Trialist Gabriel Ajuchi scored Town’s only goal of the game
- Jon Worthington selected a young side for the Central League game

A young Huddersfield Town B Team continued the Central League campaign with a draw against Preston North End at Springfields Training Ground on Tuesday afternoon.

With the Central League fixture falling between two Premier League Cup games, it was young side that travelled to Preston North End, including three trialists.

The Young Terriers never sat back and continued to press the home side even after they took the lead just before half time through a goal from Gabriel Ajuchi, and were creative with their possession.

In the end it was a late goal from the spot for the Lilywhites that meant we were going home with only a point rather than all three.

It was the home side that had the opening chance of the game as Finlay Cross-Adair tried to square the ball to Dana Amaral after it was quickly crossed into the Town box by Jacob Slater, but the ball went out for a goal kick.

However, our youngsters were on the front foot during this stage of the game and some great play from the team soon worked the ball down the field towards the Preston area. During this break, trialist Brody Peart sent a low cross towards O’Brien-Brady, but it was blocked by Lewis Coulton and went out for a throw in.

Tyrese Owen, a second trialist for the youngsters, made a great block at the other end to divert the danger created by Preston.

Another chance was created for the home side after they were awarded a free kick in the attacking half. Slater curled it towards Josh Mazfari, who made the save comfortably.

Preston missed another chance after this when they were awarded a corner. Captain, Lewis Leigh found the feet of Amaral, but he hit the ball wide.

‘Keeper Mazfari then made a brilliant save to keep Town in the game after Amaral sent a through ball to Michael O’Neill. He went one-on-one with Mazfari, but his shot was pushed over the bar brilliantly.

Town’s goal came in the 39th minute as Ajuchi was waiting to be served in the box. His shot hit the crossbar before ricocheting into the back of the net – there was a question of whether the goal was an own goal from Kian Taylor, but our trialist was sure to claim it!

Not wanting to go into half-time behind, Preston pushed forward and tried to equalise through Amaral’s shot on the edge of the box, but this went high over the bar and Town lead at half-time.

Preston improved when they came back out in the second half and dominated most of the chances created.

The first chance of the second half for the Lilywhites came in the 50th minute after Josh Seary curled the ball through the box and aimed for the back of the net, but this shot deflected and went out for a corner. This was taken by Leigh and was heading straight towards goal, but this was blocked by Mazfari for Preston to regain possession.

Our young ‘keeper once again made an excellent save as O’Neill received the ball onside from Cross-Adair and was one-on-one with Mazfari, but he put his body in front of the shot and denied their equaliser.

It was then time for James Pradic to make a save for Preston after our half-time substitute Neo Eccleston drove forward with the ball towards the opposition box before he shot from just outside the area. This chance sent the home shot-stopper diving to make the save.

Town were not looking to settle for that one goal lead as their creativity with possession got the team quickly up the field and into a dangerous area, but the first shot from Cian Philpott was blocked while the second shot from our captain Michael Stone was deflected and out for a corner.

Owen forced another save from Pradic as he carried the ball past the Preston players around him to the area from the defensive line and shot from just outside the box.

The next chance fell to O’Brien-Brady after he was squared the ball by Charles Ondo inside the box, but his shot was just wide and skimmed the side of the net.

Preston spent the final 10 minutes of the game attacking as they pushed for that equaliser and created their best chance after they were awarded a free kick just outside the Town box. This was taken by Slater and headed into the centre of the box by Leigh to find Taylor, who hit the ball just high and over the bar.

It was action late on that meant Preston could equalise as Salter was adjudged to have been brought down in the box and the home side were awarded the penalty in the 91st minute. It was O’Neill who stepped up and scored from the spot as he converted the penalty into the bottom right corner of the Town goal, which secured the draw for the Lilywhites.

Our Young Terriers now turn their attention to Friday, when we welcome Middlesbrough to the John Smith’s Stadium in the Premier League Cup, 1pm kick-off.

Town’s Team (4-2-3-1)
Josh Mazfari; Joseph Johnson, Tyrese Owen, Luke Daley (Neo Eccleston, 45’), Shane Maroodza; Ernaldo Krasniqi (Daniel Vost, 45’), Tom Iorpenda (Charles Ondo, 45’); Donay O’Brien-Brady, Michael Stone (c), Brody Peart (Cian Philpott, 62’); Gabriel Ajuchi

Unused Sub
Sam Taylor

Goal Scorer
Gabriel Ajuchi (39’)

Tom Iorpenda (14’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account