Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 March 2022

Match Reports


1 March 2022

Young Terriers beaten on the road

- Accrington Stanley 2-0 Town B
- Central League defeat for Young Terriers
- Premier League Cup up next for Jon Worthington’s side

Huddersfield Town's B Team were left to rue missed chances as they were beaten 2-0 by Accrington Stanley at the Wham Stadium in the Central League.

Second-half goals from Marcel Lewis and Leslie Adekoya were enough for a semi-experienced Stanley after Town missed several opportunities to take a comfortable lead.

Town should have taken the advantage on the tenth-minute mark. Micah Obiero was threaded through on goal, with the forward pulling the ball back to Aaron Rowe, but his left-footed attempt was superbly tipped onto the bar by Liam Isherwood. The ball rebounded to Obiero, whose looping effort was headed off the line by Oliver Patrick before the hosts managed to scramble it clear.

Accrington then went close to opening the scoring moments later. Tommy Leigh’s powerful free-kick deflected off the back of Scott High and fell kindly for Rosaire Longelo, who lifted a shot over the outrushing Giosue Bellagambi. However, Brodie Spencer managed to cover and hook the ball away from the target.

On the half-hour mark, Town had an effort disallowed. Jaheim Headley played the ball through to Connor Shanks, who subsequently slotted in Scott High. The midfielder took aim at goal, but a sliding challenge from Dylan Moonan sent the ball towards Obiero, who stroked home but was flagged for being in an offside position.

Town continued to dominate the chances in the first half, with Stanley’s only remaining sight on goal coming through Longelo, whose long-range chance was parried by Bellagambi and cleared by David Adewoju.

Further opportunities were squandered by Town – with a half-volley being sent over from the edge by Connor Shanks and a distanced shot from Aaron Rowe going beyond the far upright – as both sides went into the break level.

The second period began with the home side on top; they almost broke the stalemate five minutes after the restart. Jack Nolan’s cross-cum-shot was spilt by Bellagambi and Longelo picked up the loose ball. The forward quickly pulled the ball back Lewis, who executed a rasping effort that went inches over the bar.

Stanley then took the lead on 55 minutes. Nolan’s well-delivered free-kick was headed across the area by Archie Proctor, with the ball landing to an unmarked Lewis, who smashed the ball past the ‘keeper.

The Young Terriers struggled to find their momentum once again. Their first shot on target in the second half came on 71 minutes, as Scott High looped a header towards goal from Shanks’ delivery, but Isherwood stood firm to hold the attempt.

Three minutes later, Rowe drove through the centre before playing a pass out wide. Grant picked up possession and carried it into the area before sliding the ball across to Headley, who could only poke his effort into the side-netting.

Obiero then missed another great opportunity as the game entered its last ten minutes. Grant was slipped down the left channel, with the winger pulling the ball back to an unmarked Obiero, who sliced his shot wide of the near post.

The home side then confirmed the victory with five minutes remaining. Ayina accidentally sent Patrick’s cross onto the post before the ball fell for Adekoya, who smashed home.

B Team Line-Up

Giosue Bellagambi; Brodie Spencer, Loick Ayina, David Adewoju (Ernaldo Krasniqi, 62’); Aaron Rowe, Myles Bright, Scott High, Jaheim Headley; Connor Shanks (Kit Elliott, 82’), Micah Obiero, Danny Grant

Unused Subs

Michael Acquah; Conor Falls, Charles Ondo

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account