Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


21 July 2022

Match Reports


21 July 2022

Town’s trip to Macclesfield ends in triumph

- Macclesfield 1-2 Town B
- Young Terriers victorious against senior opposition
- Goals scored by Louis Lloyd and Michael Stone

Huddersfield Town’s B Team picked up their second pre-season victory, beating Macclesfield 2-1 at the Stadium on Thursday evening.

An entertaining game across the full 90 minutes, second half goals from Louis Lloyd and Michael Stone sealed the win for Town’s Young Terriers.

Town set the tone immediately, applying pressure from the first whistle. Right back Neo Eccleston rushed down the flank within the first 60 seconds, beating a number of opposition players in the process. Unfortunately, his venture was ended before the ball could be played into the box.

Harry Freedman subsequently threatened for the hosts, but he faced a similar fate, as his shot was easily blocked by Loick Ayina.

As the first half progressed, the Young Terriers began to gain a foothold in the contest and kept possession nicely. They remained patient and tried to find a breakthrough.

Forward Myles Bright formulated one of the best chances of the opening 45. He struck beyond Macclesfield keeper Joe Mason, but also narrowly over the crossbar.

Minutes later, his strike partner Lloyd also came close. His effort was hit on the turn and went straight down the throat of Mason. Town were on top.

Jon Worthington’s men’s offensive advances continued, and they fathomed one more golden opportunity before the interval. Bright was played through once again by Cian Philpott and poked the ball towards goal.

His chance was parried onto the post and the danger was swiftly cleared, meaning the encounter remained goalless at the break.

The second half started with another full back trying to breach the backline. This time it was Shane Maroodza’s turn to cause trouble. The defender capitalised on a Macclesfield mistake by the corner flag and turned to drive into the penalty area.

He soon tripped over a dangling leg which was met by strong appeals from the Young Terriers. These claims were quickly waved away by the referee and Worthy’s side were forced to try and find another way through.

Just over ten minutes later, Macclesfield came close to breaking the deadlock. Town were caught out by a short corner that resulted in midfielder Abdul Djalo rippling the side netting.

Most would have thought that the chance would spur the hosts on – but that was not the case. Immediately after the opportunity went begging, Town won a free kick in the opposing half.

Ben Midgley weighted the dead ball perfectly for trialist Louis Lloyd who diverted his free header into the bottom corner. The Young Terriers were a goal to the good.

However, the lead was short lived. Andy Owens found space in the penalty area and converted with a powerful shot.

The game subsequently turned into a rather cagey affair, with both sides being limited to half chances. Substitute Ernaldo Krasniqi came close, but his long-range drive was saved smartly.

Soon after, another substitute hit another from range. Stone collected the ball and rattled the crossbar with his left-footed attempt.

The 18-year-old would not be made to regret his shooting woes for long as he gave the Young Terriers their advantage back.

The midfielder progressed the ball before playing a one-two with Lloyd. He shifted it onto his left and curled it into the far corner – leaving the Silkmen’s shotstopper with no chance.

Town remained resolute at the back and held onto victory in SK11 in front of 670 people.

B Team Line-Up (4-4-2)

Nicholas Bilokapic (Giosue Bellagambi 45’); Shane Maroodza, David Adewoju, Loick Ayina, Neo Eccleston, Luke Daley (Ernaldo Krasniqi 65’), Ben Midgley (c), Sonny Whittingham, Cian Philpott (Michael Stone 65’), Myles Bright, Louis Lloyd

Town Scorers

Louis Lloyd (61’), Michael Stone (82’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account