Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 February 2022

Match Reports


14 February 2022

Young Terriers take all three points at home

- Town B beat Newcastle United 2-0
- Six unbeaten in Premier League Cup
- Goals from Jaheim Headley and Danny Grant

Huddersfield Town’s B Team saw out a 2-0 win over Newcastle United in their final group game of the Premier League Cup on Monday evening.

The result saw the Young Terriers progress from the group stages top of Group G, having extended their unbeaten run to six games.

A dominant first half performance from Town saw Jaheim Headley and Danny Grant get their names on the scoresheet.

The game got off to a bright start, with Town dominating possession in the opening minutes.

Pat Jones tried his luck in the third minute, but his drilled cross was cleared behind by Charlie Wiggett. The following corner was narrowly missed by David Adewoju!

Minutes later Aaron Rowe came close to opening the scoring. He broke into the area with some sublime footwork, but saw his shot curl just wide of the far post.

Newcastle had a chance of their own in the ninth minute, as a block from Etienne Camara fell favourably for Dylan Stephenson. Thankfully, Gio Bellagambi was on hand to put him under pressure and see him set his effort wide.

The game settled down for a period, with neither side able to find the chance they needed.

However, Town then broke the deadlock in the 28th minute! Left back Headley brought down a fantastic cross-field ball from Loick Ayina and made no mistake, shifting it onto his right foot before drilling it into the back of the net!

Wiggett tried to help the visitors get a first half equaliser by looking to thread in Reagan Thomson, but Bellagambi was straight off his line to deal with it.

The Young Terriers doubled their lead in the 39th minute thanks to Grant. The Irishman ghosted in around the back post to stoop and head home a superb set piece delivery from Ben Midgley!

The second half picked up where the first had finished, with Town on the front foot from the off.

Micah Obiero had two shots in as many minutes almost immediately after the restart. His first forced Will Brown into a low save, whilst his second was a header that went over the crossbar.

Jones then had a shot of his own a minute later, forcing the ‘keeper into another low save.

The 54th minute saw Bellagambi make an excellent save with his feet to deny Stephenson.

Four minutes later, Loick Ayina received a yellow card for an earlier challenge on Nathan Carlyon.

The tempo of the game slowed, with Town keeping themselves compact and on the defensive.

Santiago Muñoz threw himself into the action for Newcastle, with both Camara and Headley doing well to deny him on two quick-fire occasions.

Town’s second yellow came in the 89th minute, with Headley being booked for dissent.

The Young Terriers came incredibly close to adding a third in the 90th minute! Jones almost found Rowe in the middle, but some desperate defending from the visitors saw them deal with the opportunity.

Town held on for a final four minutes of added time, seeing them walk away from the group stages six unbeaten!

Having finished top of Group G, their next game will see them host Stoke City at the John Smith’s Stadium. Full details will be confirmed in due course.

B Team Line-Up (3-4-3)

Giosue Bellagambi; Loick Ayina, Etienne Camara, David Adewoju; Aaron Rowe, Scott High (Myles Bright, 70’), Ben Midgley (C), Jaheim Headley; Pat Jones, Micah Obiero, Danny Grant (Connor Shanks, 70’)

Unused Subs

Michael Acquah; Ernaldo Krasniqi, Sam Peplow

Town Scorers

Jaheim Headley (28'), Danny Grant (39')

Town Bookings

Loick Ayina (58’), Jaheim Headley (89’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account