Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


9 August 2022

Town beaten

- Huddersfield Town Preston North End
- Town knocked out of the Carabao Cup
- Jordan Rhodes on the scoresheet

Huddersfield Town were knocked out of the Carabao Cup First Round on Tuesday evening, losing 1-4 to Preston North End at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The visitors dominated proceedings throughout, with a 0-3 scoreline at half-time leaving the Terriers with a mountain to climb.

Preston scored the first goal of the game in the sixth minute. Lee Nicholls saved the initial shot, but Troy Parrott was able to find the back of the net with the rebound.

Nicholls was called into action twice, four minutes later, as Parrott once again got the ball at the edge of the box and took it past the Town defence, before Brad Potts hit the crossbar shortly after.

The 19th minute saw Ali McCann score Preston’s second, sending an effort from the centre of the box into the bottom right corner.

10 minutes later, the Lilywhites scored their third, with McCann getting his brace., A cross from Álvaro Fernández from the side of the box landed at the feet of McCann, leaving him to slot it into the bottom corner.

The Terriers did find the back of the net in the 43rd minute, but Jordan Rhodes’ effort was ruled offside by the linesman.

The Lilywhites continued the second half as they had finished the first, with their their fourth goal of the evening coming in the 51st minute as Potts’ shot was deflected into the back of the net.

Town pushed forward, with second-half substitute Sorba Thomas making a great run forward, before crossing the ball into the box for Rhodes. Unfortunately, Freddie Woodman caught the ball safely before the striker could get his head to it.

The Terriers did get a goal back less than five minutes later, when second half substitute Tino Anjorin sent an excellent through ball to Rhodes, who then went one on one with the Preston stopper and slotted the ball into the bottom right corner.

The 72nd minute saw Thomas shoot from outside the box with force, but it was straight at Woodman.

The final real chance of the game fell to Town in added time. Second half substitute Jack Rudoni was set up by fellow substitute Ben Jackson, but it was well saved by Woodman.

This was followed by a flurry of shots from Anjorin, Jackson, and Rudoni – none of which came to anything.

The Terriers are back in League action on Saturday 13 August when they welcome Stoke City to the John Smith’s Stadium.

Town’s Line-Up (4-2-3-1)

Lee Nicholls; Yuta Nakayama, Will Boyle, Tom Lees (c) (Rarmani Edmonds-Green, 76’), Brodie Spencer; Etienne Camara, Jon Russell (Jack Rudoni, 54’); Connor Mahoney (Ben Jackson, 84’), Josh Koroma (Sorba Thomas, 54’), Duane Holmes (Tino Anjorin, 54’); Jordan Rhodes

Unused Subs

Nicholas Bilokapic; Ollie Turton, Josh Ruffels, Danny Grant

Town Booking

Brodie Spencer (69’)

Advertisement block