Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 October 2021

Match Reports


2 October 2021

Town draw away from home

- Huddersfield Town draw 0-0 with Luton Town
- Four points from six this week
- Terriers now go into the international break

Huddersfield Town saw out a 0-0 Sky Bet Championship draw against Luton Town at a very wet Kenilworth Road on Saturday afternoon.

After a slow first half for the Terriers, they came back out after the break to pile the pressure on Luton.

The hosts were the more dominant side in the opening 45 minutes, applying pressure to Town throughout.

Luton’s first half chance of the game fell to Harry Cornick in the fifth minute, but his shot went straight at Lee Nicholls.

There was potential for the hosts to ahead in the 13th minute, but Elijah Adebayo was unable to meet the cross, and Luke Berry slipped as he attempted to shoot, sending his effort harmlessly wide.

The 17th minute saw a corner for Luton, but Tom Lees was able to clear it.

Sorba Thomas shaped a clever ball through to Ward, but it was cut out on the way past the last man. Ward did well to regather possession, but unfortunately his off-balance strike goes wide.

The hosts were handed a free kick in the 27th minute. James Bree stepped up and after a bit of pinball, Glen Rea volleyed from the edge of the box and saw it deflected.

The resulting corner was punched clear by Nicholls.

Luton’s biggest chance of the half came in the 39th minute. Luton won a throw in on the right, and Amari’i Bell saw his resulting shot come straight back off the cross bar!

The hosts were able to keep the ball alive and saw Adebayo get a shot off from the edge of the box. Thankfully, Nicholls was able to get down quickly to save.

The 42nd minute saw Town’s first yellow card of the game, as Thomas was belatedly booked for supposedly stepping on Rea’s ankle.

As the clock ticked into the final minute of the first half, Thomas worked in a wicked cross for Ward, but, despite flying towards the ball, the striker just wasn’t able to get on the end of it.

The Terriers came out of the blocks fasted in the second half, with Josh Koroma winning a corner almost instantly.

The initial header was headed away, and Scott High’s following half-volley was deflected out for another corner, which was also headed away and eventually went of play for a goal kick.

Koroma tried an effort of his own to get Town ahead, getting in from the left and trying to cross. Unfortunately, it was deflected, and Simon Sluga was able to catch it.

At the centre of the action again, Koroma won Town a free kick in the 53rd minute. The ball was drilled in low by Thomas, and turned behind for a corner, which was consequently headed away.

Lees was booked in the 58th minute of play for bringing down Adebayo.

The 62nd minute saw the Terriers’ best chance of the game. Some great play down the left between O’Brien and Koroma created space for High to feed Danel Sinani inside, but his left footed effort went just wide!

Sinani built on Town’s pressure, sending another strike from distance! Unfortunately, this one was straight at Sluga.

Some great pressing from Ward forced a Town corner in the 76th minute, but it was cleared.

Sarr received Town’s third yellow card of the game for a foul on Henri Lansbury on the edge of the Town third.

The resulting Luton free kick is headed behind for a corner, which Nicholls punches away well.

Town were awarded a free kick in the 84th minute. Pearson attacked Thomas’ cross, but saw it go marginally wide before it was flagged for offside.

A huge chance for Town to go ahead came just moments later. Some great play from Koroma set Toffolo free in the box, but unfortunately the latter saw his strike go over.

Both sides continued to try and get the match winner, but the full-time whistle blew, seeing both sides walk out of Kenilworth Road and into the international break with the points split.

Town’s Line-Up (3-4-3)

Lee Nicholls; Naby Sarr, Tom Lees, Matty Pearson; Harry Toffolo, Lewis O’Brien, Scott High, Danel Sinani (Duane Holmes, 72’); Josh Koroma, Danny Ward (Fraizer Campbell, 82’), Sorba Thomas

Unused Substitutes

Nicholas Bilokapic; Rolando Aarons, Josh Ruffels, Ollie Turton, Jon Russell

Town Bookings

Sorba Thomas (42'), Tom Lees (58'), Naby Sarr (80')

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account