Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


27 November 2021

Town beaten at home

- Huddersfield Town fall to 2-1 defeat
- Duncan Watmore brace sealed win for Nottingham Forest
- Luke Daniels own goal gave Town one back

Huddersfield Town fell to a 2-1 defeat to Middlesbrough at the John Smith’s Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

A disappointing game saw a Duncan Watmore seven-minute brace in the first half allow Boro to leave HD1 with all three Sky Bet Championship points.

It was a scrappy start to the game, with both sides looking to establish some dominance.

The 15th minute saw Scott High release a curling ball in behind Middlesbrough’s defence looking to pick out Danny Ward that the visitors scrambled to turn behind for a Town corner. Unfortunately, the corner came to nothing.

The deadlock was broken just one minute later, when Duncan Watmore slotted a ball from Jones past Lee Nicholls to give Boro the lead after wing back Isaiah Jones got goal side of Toffolo and slid a great cross into the penalty area.

The visitors then doubled their lead seven minutes later. Town Academy graduate Matt Crooks set up Watmore, who’s expertly taken volley hit the back of the net, giving Nicholls no chance.

Middlesbrough were well on top and had a chance for a third almost instantly, with Andraž Šporar playing in Watmore to shoot from a narrow angle. Thankfully, it was a comfortable save for Nicholls.

Town couldn't get into the game, but a moment of great work from Danel Sinani saw him move the ball up the field before feeding Duane Holmes on the edge of the box. The latter fired on the half volley, but saw his effort go well wide.

The remainder of the half saw it return to the scrappiness of the opening moments, with Boro’s defence making sure Town were kept at bay.

The second half got off to a brighter start for the Terriers with a switch to the back four, but the first half chance since the restart fell to the visitors; Watmore played in Šporar, who fired wide from inside the area.

Despite a slight reaction, Town’s first real chance of the game came in the 72nd minute. Naby Sarr reached highest for a Sinani corner, but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

A free kick soon fell Town’s way. Sorba Thomas’ delivery went over everyone’s heads, but substitute Josh Koroma picked it up and crossed from the left, with visiting 'keeper Luke Daniels doing well to punch it away under pressure from Sarr.

The third minute of injury time saw the Terriers deny Boro a clear sheet through an own goal. Lewis O’Brien picked up a crossfield ball from Scott High and, in trying to pull the ball back from the byline, watched it hit defender Onel Hernandez, the post and then goalie Daniels before squirming over the line.

Town are back in action on Saturday 4 December 2021, when they travel to face Barnsley.

Town’s Line-Up (3-4-3)

Lee Nicholls; Naby Sarr, Tom Lees, Matty Pearson (Ollie Turton, 37’); Harry Toffolo (Josh Koroma, 74'), Lewis O’Brien (c), Scott High, Sorba Thomas; Duane Holmes (Fraizer Campbell, 60’), Danny Ward, Danel Sinani

Unused Subs

Ryan Schofield; Josh Ruffels, Levi Colwill, Jon Russell

Town Scorer

Luke Daniels (90+3', OG)

Advertisement block