Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 July 2021

Town beaten in final pre-season friendly

- Town fall to defeat in final friendly
- Two first half goals seal Fleetwood's victory
- Lewis O’Brien on scoresheet

Huddersfield Town fell to a 2-1 defeat against Fleetwood Town in their final pre-season friendly on Tuesday evening.

Two first half goals left Town with work to do after the break, but Lewis O’Brien was able to half the deficit before the final whistle.

The hosts took the lead in the fifth minute, with Shayden Morris driving a strike past Ryan Schofield from long range.

The Terriers responded well to falling behind, with Josh Ruffels sending a shot towards Alex Cairns. The ‘keeper initially struggled to keep a grip on the ball, but was ultimately able to save it.

The 30th minute saw Fleetwood double their lead. Ged Garner made no mistake from the six-yard box to push the hosts further ahead.

This time it was the turn of Jordan Rhodes to try and get the Terriers back in the game, but the angle for his shot was slightly too tight and Cairns was able to save it.

Both teams came close to scoring in the closing minutes of the first half. However, Brad Halliday and Sorba Thomas’ attempts both missed accordingly.

Town made one substitution when they came back out for the second half, replacing Ryan Schofield with Lee Nicholls.

Josh Koroma took the first chance of the half, but sent his low cross into the side netting.

Lee Nicholls was also called into action early on, making an excellent save to deny Fleetwood a third.

Chances started coming in thick and fast for the Terriers, with them piling the pressure on Cairns as they searched to get themselves on the scoresheet. The best chance fell to Brahima Diarra, who sent the ball flying towards Cairns, but the ‘keeper was able to keep it away from the back of the net.

The 62nd minute saw Town make nine substitutions, leaving Thomas the only starting XI player on the pitch.

Town dominated the game after the senior players were introduced, and their pressure paid off in the 78th minute thanks to Lewis O’Brien, who sent a right-footed shot straight past Cairns and into the back of the net.

The Terriers built on the momentum of O’Brien’s goal in their search for an equaliser, but were unable to get the result before the final whistle blew at the Highbury Stadium.

Huddersfield Town XI (4-3-3)

Ryan Schofield (Lee Nicholls, 46’); Josh Ruffels (Harry Toffolo, 62'), Naby Sarr (Levi Colwill, 62'), Romoney Crichlow (Matty Pearson, 62'), Pipa (Ollie Turton, 62'); Josh Austerfield (Jonathan Hogg, 62'), Reece Brown (Lewis O'Brien, 62'), Brahima Diarra (Scott High, 62'); Josh Koroma (Duane Holmes, 62'), Jordan Rhodes (Danny Ward, 62'), Sorba Thomas

Unused Subs

Nicholas Bilokapic, Ben Jackson


Lewis O'Brien, 78'

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account