Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


6 February 2021

Match Reports


6 February 2021

Naby Sarr's late equaliser saw Huddersfield Town draw 1-1 with Luton Town in the Sky Bet Championship.

James Collins had opened the scoring for the hosts in the first-half before Sarr's fourth goal of the campaign rescued a point late on for the Terriers, with Harry Toffolo also sent off in the closing stages at Kenilworth Road.

Head Coach Carlos Corberán made two changes to the side that drew with Stoke City last time out.

Jonathan Hogg made his return from a hip problem to captain the side whilst Duane Holmes made his first start since returning to the Club, in the encounter at Kenilworth Road.

When the game got underway, it was the hosts who went ahead early on through James Collins.

The forward tapped Harry Cornick’s ball across the goal into an empty net to put the Hatters ahead after 12 minutes.

Town’s first opportunity in search of an equaliser came courtesy of Lewis O’Brien shortly after. The midfielder set himself on the area before unleashing a strike that flew just over Simon Sluga’s crossbar.

On the half-hour mark it was Juninho Bacuna that tried his luck. Town’s no.7 drove from midfield before driving a left-footed show low and wide of the goal.

At the other end, Dan Potts went close to doubling the hosts’ lead. The full-back rose highest inside the penalty area to meet a ball in from the right, with his towering header coming back off the post.

After the break, it was Bacuna who registered the first chance of the second half in an attempt to get Town level.

Half-time substitute Rolando Aarons slipped in Bacuna down the left side of the box but the midfielder, who scored in Town’s last away outing at Bristol City, could only find the side netting with his drilled attempt.

Town’s no.7 couldn’t get on the scoresheet himself but played a large part in the Terriers’ equaliser on 74 minutes.

The midfielder’s powered free-kick along the ground was palmed away by Simon Sluga into the path of Naby Sarr who was in the right place at the right time to find the net and draw the Terriers level.

Corberán’s side nearly completed a quickfire turnaround straight after when Frazier Campbell found the run of Duane Holmes but the January signing’s effort to meet the ball on the stretch was stopped by Sluga who stayed composed to make the save.

As the game ticked into stoppage time, Town were reduced to 10 men. Harry Toffolo was sent off for a challenge on a Luton player just inside the Terriers' half.

From the resulting free-kick, Hatters substitute Glen Rea worked space for a strike inside the box after the ball had fallen to him with his strike coming back off the post.

That was the final opportunity of the encounter with referee Leigh Doughty's whistle going soon after to ensure Town would take a point from Kenilworth Road with a second successive 1-1 draw in the Sky Bet Championship.

Next up for Town is the visit of Wycombe Wanderers to the John Smith’s Stadium in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday 13 February 2021; 3pm kick-off.

LUTON TOWN (4-1-4-1)

Simon Sluga; Dan Potts, Sonny Bradley (c), Tom Lockyer, Matty Pearson; Luke Berry (Glen Rea,72’); Jordan Clark (Kai Naismith, 86’), Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Pelly Ruddock, Harry Cornick (Tom Ince, 83’); James Collins

Unused subs

James Shea; Martin Cranie, Danny Hylton, George Moncur, Sam Nombe, Elijah Adebayo


Ryan Schofield; Harry Toffolo, Naby Sarr, Richard Keogh, Pipa (Alex Pritchard, 67’) (Álex Vallejo, 90+5’); Jonathan Hogg, Lewis O’Brien, Juninho Bacuna; Duane Holmes (Scott High, 90+4’), Fraizer Campbell, Isaac Mbenza (Rolando Aarons, 46’)

Unused subs

Jayson Leutwiler; Demeaco Duhaney, Sorba Thomas, Romomey Crichlow, Kieran Phillips


Leigh Doughty

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account