Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 August 2021

Success for Huddersfield Town Women on Sunday afternoon

- Latest match report for Huddersfield Town Women
- Terriers put five past Loughborough Lightning
- Read all the details below

Huddersfield Town kicked off their second game of the week away at Loughborough on Sunday and for the second weekend running, secured the three points.

The Terriers got off to the livelier start of the two sides, opening the scoring in the first five minutes. Lucy Sowerby found space up front and put the ball in the back of the net after a lovely run.

But the fiery start did not stop there! Town doubled their lead just 10 minutes later, with Brittany Sanderson unmarked in the box following a lovely cross from Paige Crossman. The midfielder had plenty of time to control her feet and find the back of the net, with Loughborough struggling to settle.

As the first half continued, Loughborough started to get into the game and string a few passes together and before long Abbie Benstead scored for the hosts just four minutes before the break.

The first half saw plenty of chances for both sides, with Bethan Davies and Loughborough goalkeeper Holly Mayfield producing a number of exceptional saves for their respective sides.

With the second half getting underway, Town had a one-goal lead and the Terriers knew they had a tough 45 minutes ahead of them as they looked to extend their unbeaten start to the season.

Loughborough celebrate 16_9.jpg

However, just six minutes into the restart, Town restored their lead back to a two-goal margin. A good piece of play from Kate Mallin found Loughborough ‘keeper Mayfield in no mans land, and with Laura Elford in the middle of the box, a simple tap in started the second half in the same way the first half did.

After the third goal, both sides saw plenty of the ball, with the Terriers aiming to maintain their lead, whilst their opponents pushed for another goal. However, Town found the back of the net with just five minutes to go.

Loughborough tried to play the ball across their back line, and a misplaced pass to Mayfield was miss-hit by the shotstopper, who played Mallin in for a simple pass in over the goal line. With just five minutes to go, Town had all but secured the three points.

The Terriers did not stop with their four goals however, and with less than one minute left on the clock, Sowerby struck a dangerous free kick into the box and Elford was on hand to add to her tally.

Steve Appleton was delighted with his sides performance at full-time, he said:

“You can never expect to score five goals, but I think I said on Wednesday, we have created chances in our other games and I just thought it was a matter of time before they started to go in. Five goals is a nice way to finish the weekend.

“The goalkeepers have been outstanding this season and we have been sloppy on occasion, but that’s football, at this level you switch off and opponents are going to capitalise and that’s what Loughborough did today and fair play to them, it was a great cross and a good goal, but we responded in the right way and we have gone on to win the game by a decent score line.”

A successful afternoon for Town who stretch their unbeaten run to four games at the start of the new season. The Terriers will continue their preparations during the week and travel to Burnley for their first game of September on Sunday.

Advertisement block