Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 September 2020

Match Reports


7 September 2020

First Team squad members get valuable minutes

- Huddersfield Town B Team’s maiden game played at Liverpool FC
- Danny Schofield’s side defended well for a large portion of the game
- 17 Terriers pick up valuable game time ahead of the league season

Town’s new B Team played its first game on Monday afternoon, with several First Team squad members getting valuable minutes under their belts at Liverpool FC.

The hosts had the better chances of the two sides, managing to keep possession for long periods of play at times, although Danny Schofield’s players were well drilled and managed to limit the number of clear-cut chances for strikers Paul Glatzel and Liam Millar. It wasn’t until a penalty awarded in the 79th minute that the game began to slip away from the Terriers.

The game got off to a fast start, with Town getting the first sight of goal. Isaac Mbenza beat his marker on the right-hand side, sprinted to the by-line, and attempted to pick out Adama Diakhaby running in at the back post, however his cross was deflected behind for a corner.

Liverpool then began to find their rhythm, looking dangerous each time they came forward, however could either not direct their efforts on target, or Town’s defence dealt with the early threat comfortably.

It seemed like both sides weren’t going to register a shot on target before the break, however Mbenza had an effort from range saved by Vitezslav Jaros in the Liverpool goal, and not long after Millar attempted something similar at the other end of the field. Joel Pereira was equal to it though, and it remained goalless at the break.

The Terriers side that came out for the second half was a much changed one from the first half, with six Under-19s entering the fray.

Schofield’s young side picked up where they left off in the first half, denying Liverpool any space in the box at the start of the second half.

There were a couple of good chances for Town to take the lead as the tie went on, with Jaheim Headley heading just over the bar from close range, and Myles Bright seeing an effort blocked before being snapped up by Jaros.

In the end the possession afforded to the home side proved costly, as substitute Fidel O’Rourke was brought down in the box for a penalty. Glatzel made no mistake with the spot kick, smashing it into the top corner, and the momentum quickly swung in Liverpool’s favour.

Elijah Dixon-Bonner, another Liverpool substitute, made an impact as he grabbed two goals from close range, despite the best efforts of Joel Pereira to deny him at the final hurdle, and in the final minutes Luis Longstaff, who had gone close a number of times earlier on, added a fourth in stoppage time.

Town B (4-3-3)

Joel Pereira; Jaden Brown (Sam Sharrock-Peplow, 46’), Loick Ayina, Richard Stearman © (Mustapha Olagunju, 46’), Ilounga Pata; Pat Jones, Josh Austerfield (Jaheim Headley, 46’), Brahima Diarra (Myles Bright, 46’); Adama Diakhaby (Kian Harratt, 46’), Micah Obiero, Isaac Mbenza (Will McCamley, 46’)

Unused Sub
Giosue Bellagambi

Final score
Liverpool FC Under-23s 4-0 Huddersfield Town B Team

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account