Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 November 2020

Match Reports


7 November 2020

Carel Eiting’s second half equaliser saw Huddersfield Town draw 1-1 with Luton Town in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Dutchman’s first goal for the Terriers cancelled out George Moncur’s 21st minute strike with neither side able to find the game's third goal, meaning the points were shared at the John Smith's Stadium.

Carlos Corberán made two changes to the side that started in midweek, with Carel Eiting and Adama Diakhaby returning to the starting XI.

There was also a welcome return to the squad for Danny Ward who had yet to make a Sky Bet Championship appearance for Town since re-joining the Club in the summer, having been sidelined with a hamstring issue over the last two months.

After both sides observed a minute’s silence to pay their respects on remembrance weekend, the encounter got underway at a foggy John Smith’s Stadium.

Despite the conditions, Ben Hamer had no problem seeing Harry Cornick’s early effort, collecting the Hatters’ first attempt of the game without any issue.

Having edged the better of the starts, the visitors got the game’s opener on 21 minutes. George Moncur volleyed in Sonny Bradley’s header to the back post to give Luton the lead.

The Terriers responded well to going behind and had several chances to get back on level terms. First, Lewis O’Brien drove over the bar having found some space on the edge of the box before Josh Koroma hit ‘keeper Simon Sluga with his low effort.

Just before the interval, Adama Diakhaby also got his sights in. The forward tricked his way into the penalty area before his deflected strike took a diving hand from Sluga to prevent it creeping into the near corner.

After going into the break behind, Town again came out fighting and nearly had an equaliser in the opening minutes of the half.

Having caused the Hatters defence problems in the first 45, Koroma was again getting into dangerous areas after the break, attempting to squeeze a low strike through the defender’s legs that was diverted behind for a corner.

That attack from the left may have been cut out, but the next one saw Town successfully draw level.

Harry Toffolo’s flighted ball in from the left found the head of Carel Eiting who superbly directed the ball past the ‘keeper to get the Terriers level with his first goal for the Club.

Having found the equaliser on the hour mark, Town matched up Luton’s change to five at the back with both sides battling towards a late winner.

With 82 minutes on the clock, Danny Ward made his league return for Town having been sidelined since the start of the Sky Bet Championship campaign, replacing Josh Koroma as Town continued to look for a winner.

The best, and only real clear cut, chance in the game’s closing stages for either side fell to Fraizer Campbell in the opening seconds of the six added on minutes.

The forward’s effort from just inside the penalty area was charged down with the final whistle going shortly after to confirm Town would take a point from the final game before the international break.

Next up for Town is a visit to the bet365 Stadium to face Stoke City in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday 21 November 2020; 3pm kick-off.


Ben Hamer; Harry Toffolo, Naby Sarr, Richard Stearman, Pipa (Demeaco Duhaney, 89’); Jonathan Hogg, Lewis O’Brien, Carel Eiting; Josh Koroma (Danny Ward, 82’), Fraizer Campbell, Adama Diakhaby (Christopher Schindler, 66’)

Unused subs

Joel Pereira; Isaac Mbenza, Jaden Brown, Matty Daly

LUTON TOWN (4-2-3-1)

Simon Sluga; Martin Cranie, Sonny Bradley (c), Glen Rea, Matty Pearson; Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu, Kiernan Dwesbury-Hall; George Moncur (James Bree, 60’), Luke Berry (Ryan Tunnicliffe, 77’), Harry Cornick (Kazenga LuaLua, 73’); James Collins

Unused subs

James Shea; Danny Hylton, Elliot Lee, Rhys Norrington-Davies


Oliver Langford

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account