Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


21 February 2020

Match Reports


21 February 2020

Town’s youngsters beaten in latest Premier League Cup outing

- Liverpool FC beat Town’s Elite Development Team in the Premier League Cup
- Collin Quaner played 45 minutes as he comes back from injury
- Young Terriers created a number of chances in the second half

Huddersfield Town’s Elite Development Team’s penultimate Premier League Cup game ended in a 3-0 defeat to Liverpool FC despite spirited performance from Danny Schofield’s side.

The Young Terriers were undone by goals from Liam Millar and Sepp Van Den Berg inside the opening half-an-hour but showed a good mentality to create a number of second-half chances that, on another night, could have earned them at least a point.

Despite their positive display it was Liverpool FC who notched the final goal of the evening courtesy of substitute Joe Hardy.

One positive for Town was the inclusion of Collin Quaner following a long-term injury lay-off. The forward came through the opening 45 minutes unscathed, before being replaced by Jaheim Headley at the break.

Liverpool FC began the game in the ascendancy and created the game’s first opportunity inside five minutes. An excellent ball in behind the Town defence located the run of Jack Bearne, whose touch almost took it round Bellagambi but Town’s ‘keeper got down at full stretch to thwart him.

The home side continued to press the Young Terriers relentlessly high up the pitch, however Schofield’s side refused to shy away from their principles. Mustapha Olagunju’s back-pass did not have enough on it, which allowed Millar to pounce and prod home.

Town defended resolutely following the opener but were undone via a set-piece just after the half hour mark to double Liverpool FC’s advantage. Bellagambi’s punch landed only at the feet of Van Den Berg, who slotted the ball calmly into the corner.

Demeaco Duhaney provided a useful outlet down the right-hand side and fashioned Town’s first opening when his cross almost found the head of Rekeil Pyke, but Caoimhin Kelleher got there first to punch clear and away from danger.

Duhaney was involved in the Town attack once again moments later and was inches away from halving the deficit. He played an intricate one-two with Matty Daly inside the area but stroked his first-time effort agonisingly wide of the far-post.

Despite Liverpool FC’s early second half pressure, the Young Terriers posed a threat of their own on the counter attack. Substitute Kieran Phillips latched onto an excellent pass by Daly and attempted to cut the ball back to Headley, who saw his effort well blocked.

Schofield’s side created another opportunity to get back into it midway through the second half. Some neat interplay involving Josh Austerfield and Headley resulted in the latter laying the ball back to the unmarked Scott High. Unfortunately for Town, his effort rolled just wide.

The Young Terriers refused to roll over and showed their character as chances began to arrive more regularly. Some excellent pressing from Phillips saw him dispossess Kelleher inside the area. As the on-loan Everton striker attempted to prod the ball into the empty net, he appeared to be dragged down by the Liverpool FC ‘keeper, but the referee waved away the penalty appeals.

The hosts then rounded off the scoring in stoppage time when Hardy was first to pounce on a Bellagambi save to slot home a third goal of the evening.

Huddersfield Town’s EDT (4-2-3-1)

Giosue Bellagambi; Jaden Brown, Mustapha Olagunju, Loick Ayina, Demeaco Duhaney; Josh Austerfield, Scott High (C); Collin Quaner (Jaheim Headley, 46’), Matty Daly, Will McCamley (Patrick Jones, 69’); Rekeil Pyke (Kieran Phillips, 46’)

Unused subs

Luke Mewitt, Ilounga Pata

Final score

Liverpool FC Under-23s 3-0 Huddersfield Town EDT

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account