Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 February 2020

Disappointing evening for the Terriers

Town fell to a disappointing three goal defeat at the John Smith’s Stadium at the hands of Cardiff City in the latest Sky Bet Championship fixture.

Despite enjoying the first 25 minutes and looking threatening, the Bluebirds then scored a quickfire double and went on to enjoy their evening in West Yorkshire as Town toiled without reward.

Manager Danny Cowley named an unchanged XI from Saturday’s 2-0 win over Queens Park Rangers, meaning skipper Christopher Schindler made his 150th appearance for the Club whilst midfielder Juninho Bacuna brought up his 50th league game for Town.

The Terriers looked buoyed by the weekend’s win and carried that confidence into the midweek encounter.

With most of the game being played in the Cardiff half, in the opening 20 minutes, Bacuna registered the game’s first chance, heading Elias Kachunga’s cross at Cardiff’s former Town ‘keeper Alex Smithies.

Bacuna, who’s older brother Leandro was on the Cardiff bench, was making himself known in the opening exchanges. His curled effort from the edge of the area demanded close attention from Smithies, who parried over.

Town started the better of the two, but it was the visitors who jumped into a 28th minute lead. Josh Murphy beat the offside trap before racing through on goal and calmly slotting the ball over Jonas Lössl for the opener.

Danny Cowley’s side attempted to hit straight back and nearly got the equaliser less than two minutes later. Steve Mounié swept Harry Toffolo’s ball from the left just wide of the target from the centre of the area.

The game’s next chance came at the other end, and it was one that the Bluebirds made the most of to go 2-0 up. Will Vaulks connected with a corner from the right to double the visitors’ advantage.

Two nearly became three after Lee Tomlin raced through on goal following a counter-attack, but his chipped effort sailed over the bar after Lewis O’Brien did just about enough to put off the Cardiff man.

It was then Lössl who ensured that the lead stayed at two in added time, tipping over Joe Bennett’s free kick from around 25 yards out.

Town pressured for the goal that would get them back into the game after the break. Emile Smith Rowe stung the hands of Smithies, with the Town Academy graduate doing enough to clear it from danger.

The visitors continued to hold firm and extended their lead just over halfway into the second 45. Lössl did well to deny Junior Hoilett’s original effort before Callum Paterson finished the rebound at the back post.

The Bacuna brothers were on the pitch after the visitors introduced Leandro from the bench, shortly before the goal. In the closing stages, he came close to finding the target himself, dragging an effort wide of the post from the edge of the penalty area.

Town couldn’t find the target in the time that remained, and after three minutes of added time, referee Darren England brought an end to the encounter at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Next up for Town is a trip to Pride Park to face Derby County in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday 15 February 2020; 3pm kick-off.

Jonas Lössl; Harry Toffolo, Christopher Schindler (c), Richard Stearman, Danny Simpson, Lewis O’Brien, Jonathan Hogg (Andy King, 58’), Juninho Bacuna, Emile Smith Rowe (Chris Willock, 75’), Elias Kachunga, Steve Mounié (Fraizer Campbell, 58’)

Unused subs
Joel Coleman, Trevoh Chalobah, Rekeil Pyke, Jon Gorenc Stanković

CARDIFF CITY (4-2-3-1)
Alex Smithies; Joe Bennett, Chris Nelson, Sean Morrison (c), Jazz Richards, Marlon Pack, Will Vaulks, Josh Murphy (Junior Hoilett, 67’), Lee Tomlin, Albert Adomah (Leandro Bacuna, 66’), Callum Paterson (Danny Ward, 86’)

Unused subs
Neil Etheridge, Aden Flint, Robert Glatzel, Gavin Whyte

Darren England


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account