Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


26 December 2020

Match Reports


26 December 2020

A stoppage time goal from Michał Helik condemned Huddersfield Town to a 2-1 defeat against Barnsley at Oakwell.

Rarmani Edmonds-Green had put the Terriers ahead early on before goals from Helik either side of the break saw Town suffer defeat in the Yorkshire derby on Boxing Day.

Fresh from signing a new three-and-a-half-year deal with the Club earlier in the week, Carlos Corberán named an unchanged for a third successive game off the back of the draw at Coventry and the victory over Watford before Christmas.

The only alterations came on the Terriers bench where Ben Hamer returned from a groin issue alongside 18-year-old Kian Harratt making his first appearance in the match day squad this season.

It was Town who made the more enthusiastic of the starts and landed the first punch in the Boxing Day encounter at Oakwell.

After a smart short corner from the left, Carel Eiting clipped the ball into the path of Rarmani Edmonds-Green who steered the ball into the net to put the visiting Terriers 1-0 up.

Off the back of that goal, Fraizer Campbell had the perfect chance to instantly double the lead. The forward got through one-on-one but dragged the ball just wide of the goal.

At the other end, the hosts made the most of their first real attack to level the scores once again. After a goalmouth scramble, Michał Helik did enough to force the ball over the line to draw the Tykes level.

Following an action-packed opening, the two sides endured a battling period in the contest with chances at a premium.

But as the break approached, Juninho Bacuna fired wide after a corner broke to him on the edge of the box whilst Cauely Woodrow had an effort on goal deflected wide by Edmonds-Green for the hosts.

The first opening of the second half came via an unlikely source in the form of Jonathan Hogg. The midfielder’s driven strike from the edge of the box was blocked and nearly fell for Harry Toffolo as Town looked to regain the lead.

Just after the hour-mark it was Eiting who had the next half-chance. The Dutchman scuffed an effort that was cleared by the Barnsley defence having been found by Lewis O’Brien inside the box.

Advancing into the closing stages, Ryan Schofield produced a good stop to keep out Cauley Woodrow.

Town’s ‘keeper stretched across to his right to divert the forward’s header away from the goal on 72 minutes.

That Woodrow effort looked to be the final chance of the contest until the hosts took all three points with one of the final kicks of the game.

Helik, who had equalised in the first half, completed the hosts’ turnaround, finding the net from under the crossbar after a long throw from the left was flicked into his path.

The 93rd minute goal condemned Town to defeat in the Boxing Day encounter with the final whistle going soon after at Oakwell.

Next up for Town is a return to the John Smith’s Stadium to face Blackburn Rovers in the Sky Bet Championship on Tuesday 29 December 2020; 7.45pm kick-off.

BARNSLEY (3-4-3)

Jack Walton, Mads Juel Andersen, Michał Helik, Michael Sollbauer; Callum Styles, Alex Mowatt (Romal Palmer, 87’), Matty James (Herbie Kane, 73’), Callum Brittain; Conor Chaplin (Luke Thomas, 73’), Cauley Woodrow (George Miller, 97’), Dominik Frieser (Victor Adeboyejo, 60’)

Unused subs

Bradley Collins; Patrick Schmidt, Clarke Oduor, Jasper Moon


Ryan Schofield; Harry Toffolo, Naby Sarr, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Pipa; Jonathan Hogg, Lewis O’Brien, Carel Eiting (Alex Pritchard, 71’); Juninho Bacuna, Fraizer Campbell, Isaac Mbenza (Adama Diakhaby, 81’)

Unused subs

Ben Hamer; Álex Vallejo, Demeaco Duhaney, Kian Harratt, Romoney Crichlow, Jaden Brown, Aaron Rowe


David Webb



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account