Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


30 March 2019

Match Reports


30 March 2019

Sponsored by

Great game against a top senior opponent for the Young Terriers

- Huddersfield Town U19s defeated by senior Larne side
- Lots to learn from the game against the promotion-chasing host
- Trialist Tim Akinola scored the Town consolation

A young Huddersfield Town Under-19 side will have learned a lot from a stern test against promotion-chasing Larne FC in Northern Ireland on Saturday.

The two clubs have built a good relationship through the successful loan of winger Dom Tear this season, with fellow Young Terrier Isaac Marriott unfortunately getting injured early in his stay at the Club. Subsequently, this game came about as Larne prepares for the impending Play-Off campaign at the Club’s Inver Park ground.

In sunny conditions, it was the hosts who had the first real effort at goal inside 10 minutes. Town ‘keeper Luke Mewitt responded well, clawing away a 25-yard free-kick that was heading for the net in impressive fashion. He also had to stop a header from the resulting corner, but it was the initial save that really caught the eye.

Town’s first chance of the game came two minutes later through 16-year-old winger Sam Sharrock-Peplow, but he couldn’t muster the power to truly test the home goalkeeper after a swift counter-attack.

Larne took the lead in the 22nd minute through top scorer David McDaid, who confidently swept home the ball from 15 yards out after a run and cross from the Town left from Tomas Cosgrove.

Mewitt produced another smart save 10 minutes from the interval, getting a strong hand to an attempted chip as the striker entered Town’s penalty area. That drew save from the good crowd in attendance on the afternoon.

Sadly, Town lost centre back Jake Barrett to a groin problem shortly afterwards, with young trialist Tim Akinola replacing him.

A decent Town chance soon followed, with striker Micah Obiero advancing down the left and creating the space to shoot. Unfortunately, the effort was not as eye-catching as the work beforehand; he blazed well over.

Instead, it was Larne who doubled the advantage before the interval with a near carbon-copy of their first. This time the run came down the Town right through Ben Tilney, but it was McDaid on hand again to fire home.

Town started the second 45 minutes well, and soon got on the scoresheet. Young Sharrock-Peplow was involved again, sending a great cross into the area from the left where Akinola planted an equally impressive header into the top corner, giving the goalkeeper no chance.

Another big chance soon followed through Obiero, but he sent his shot just wide of the post after another great run.

Unfortunately, it was Larne who got the all-important next goal just before the hour mark. The defence managed to stop the initial effort from Tommy Stewart on the line, but it was to no avail as Benny Igiehon fired home the rebound.

The Young Terriers were punished with another goal after some sloppy play 10 minutes later. Dean Whitehead’s side gave up possession from a short goal kick, allowing Igiehon to return the favour to Stewart with a simple square pass to place home.

The fifth and final Larne goal was a strange one, with Town loanee Tear netting against his parent club through a good header from a free-kick.

Town’s team vs Larne (3-4-3)
Luke Mewitt; Mustapha Olagunju, Oran Thompson, Jake Barrett; Jaden Brown, Scott High (c), Josh Austerfield, Taylor Annakin; Sam Sharrock-Peplow, Micah Obiero, Jaheim Headley

Jacob Chapman; Tom Bamford, Nassim Kherbouche, Tim Akinola

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account