Town has been awarded the Premier League’s Preliminary Level Equality Standard
- Town awarded the Premier League’s Preliminary Level Equality Standard
- Terriers Together brand showcases the Club’s work in equality, diversity and inclusion
- Work has already begun to achieve the Premier League’s Intermediate Standard
Huddersfield Town’s commitment to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion across the Club and in the community has been formally recognised by the Premier League.
Town has officially been awarded the Premier League’s Preliminary Level Equality Standard in recognition of a range of initiatives and campaigns during its first season in the division.
Upon promotion in the summer of 2017 the Club formed an Equality Working Group, which in turn formed an Equality Policy; the lynchpin of Town’s commitment to promoting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the community.
Operations Director Ann Hough, who is the Equality Lead for the Club at Board level, explained:
“Everyone at Huddersfield Town has a responsibility to ensure our organisation is a pleasant and respectful working environment, free from discrimination, bullying and harassment, and any foul and abusive language and behaviour.
“We are developing a whole-organisational approach to the commitment, delivery and development of a wide range of themes related to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
“Huddersfield and the wider community are a richly diverse area and it is vital that everyone feels welcome at the Club, and part of what is going on. We’ve always had this ethos at our core, but this body of work has really focused us on the work that can be done to further this ethos into reality.
“During our first 18 months, we’ve worked on some fantastic initiatives in this area and we’re delighted that work has been recognised in the awarding of the Premier League’s Preliminary Equality Standard.
“Regardless of our current or future league status, equality, diversity and inclusion underpin our Club values and what we stand for, and we are confident that the Equality Working Group will continue to develop and grow.”
In rewarding Town with the Preliminary Standard, the Premier League commented:
“Huddersfield Town has developed a comprehensive submission and approached the Premier League Equality Standard Preliminary Level with honesty, working diligently to ensure that their policies, procedures and practices reflect equality.
“The Club can demonstrate clear senior level buy-in and commitment to equality and this is also seen within the Academy and Foundation’s work. Job descriptions reflect equality and the club have used the ACAS on-line equality module to extend awareness to every member of staff.”
Among the many initiatives that have been worked on over the last 18 months, here are a few highlights:
- The creation of a ‘Diversity Champions’ scheme, where employees of the Club and KSDL volunteer to promote and help embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in all aspects of work. The Champions also act as a point of contact for people to discuss EDI
- The Club has become a Disability Confident Committed employer, making a commitment to recruit and retain disabled people and those with long-term limiting health conditions, based on their skills and talent
- A wide-ranging data collection exercise, which is a continuing process to help inform the Club on how its strategy towards EDI work develops moving forward. That process covered Club staff and the wider community, helping to identify areas that need addressing at Club and Foundation level
Work has already started towards the Premier League’s Intermediate Standard, with the Club aiming to achieve it by May 2020.
Town’s Equality Working Group is expanding to include external members; if you’d like to help, please read more HERE.