Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 July 2019

Match Reports


10 July 2019

Sponsored by

Promising signs from Jan Siewert’s side in first game in Austria

- Town draw with Greuther Fürth in first game in Austria
- Karlan Grant scored the equaliser for the Terriers
- Second game against the 2. Bundesliga side at 5pm local time

An early second half goal from Karlan Grant drew Town level as Jan Siewert’s side drew 1-1 in their first game of the day against Greuther Fürth in Austria.

The two matches against the 2. Bundesliga club allowed the Terriers to put in to practise what they’d been working on at the start of pre-season with Town’s Head Coach.

The sunny weather was different to what the Town players have been used to so far in Austria, in what had been wet and windy conditions to train in.

Jan Siewert has been keen to stress that he doesn’t believe in friendly matches and that was clear to see straight from the off, with his players looking to press the opposition doing a lot of things they worked on during the last few days in Austria.

That pressing game was evident in the first big chance of the game. Lewis O’Brien, who spent last season on loan in the Sky Bet League 1 with Bradford City, was on the front foot and won the ball back in the middle of midfield before releasing Diakhaby down the right. Adama switched the play to find Pritchard wide left. Pritch drove into the area and tried to curl an effort goalwards but it took a deflection and flew over the bar.

The subsequent corner led to another opening, Tommy Elphick met Aaron Mooy’s corner and powered a header over the bar.

Despite Town’s good work going forwards, it was Greuther Fürth who took the lead in the 17th minute. The striker, who bagged 10 goals in 2. Bundesliga last season, charged down Joel Coleman and the ‘keeper’s clearance hit the striker and flew into the back of the net.

That goal didn’t deter the Terriers who stuck to their game plan that put the German Club under a lot of pressure. O’Brien pressed again and robbed the ball off Sarpie 25 yards out. He drove into the area and had an effort blocked just in-front of the ‘keeper. The rebound came back out to him, but due to the angle he chose to pass instead of shoot and his ball to Karlan Grant was cut out.

Another chance then fell to Tommy Elphick. Terence Kongolo was fouled to the left of the area before Mooy’s low, driven free-kick was flicked goal wards by Karlan Grant. The ball fell to Elphick, who’s flick was saved by Burchert from close range.

The final chance of the half fell to the German side. Left-back Wittek curled a free-kick goalwards, but it flew into the hands of Joel Coleman.

Town’s high intensity game continued into the second half and led to the equaliser. Lewis O’Brien and Jonathan Hogg created a trap for the Fürth midfielders before Hoggy charged down an opposition player and won the ball.

He slipped Karlan Grant into the area, who finished excellently, driving a left-footed effort into the bottom corner.

The Terriers continued to create more chances and another one fell the way of Karlan Grant. This time Pritchard did well on the left and floated a cross into the area. Grant rose highest but couldn’t generate enough power on the cross and the header was saved by the ‘keeper.

In truth, Greuther Fürth were limited to very few chances in the game with most of their efforts coming from range. That was evident when Stefaniak's driven effort from 25 yards out was saved low by Coleman.

On the hour mark Jan Siewert rung the changes, 10 to be exact with only Joel Coleman remaining on the pitch.

Jaden Brown, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Jon Stankovic, Herbert Bockhorn, Juninho Basuna, Moses Makasi, Matty Daly, Rajiv van La Parra, Collin Quaner and Elias Kachunga all took to the field.

Following the changes, the game started to become a little scrappier, but that didn’t stop Town creating more chances.

Juninho Bacuna was excellent in the build-up before Quaner was slipped into the area. Big Col tried to loop the ball over the goalkeeper, however, Schaffran stayed tall and denied him.

The final big chance of the game also came the way of Quaner, who was later substituted after picking up a knock earlier on in the half. This time Collin looked to have created space for himself inside the area, however, the defender did well to block his path. His pass back to Bacuna was slightly short, which forced the midfielder to try and find him rather than shooting, but unfortunately, Big Col was offside.

Jan Siewert’s side will take on Greuther Fürth again this afternoon. The match will kick-off at 5pm local time (4pm UK) at Town’s Brixen im Thale base (Schwimmbadweg 24, 6364 Brixen im Thale).

Town’s line-up

Joel Coleman; Terence Kongolo (Jaden Brown, 60’), Christopher Schindler (C) (Jon Gorenc Stankovic, 60’), Tommy Elphick (Rarmani Edmonds-Green, 60’), Florent Hadergjonaj (Herbert Bockhorn, 60’); Jonathan Hogg (Moses Makasi, 60’), Aaron Mooy (Juninho Bacuna, 60’), Lewis O’Brien (Matty Daly, 60’); Alex Pritchard (Rajiv van La Parra, 60’), Karlan Grant (Collin Quaner, 60 (Josh Koroma, 85’)), Adama Diakhaby (Elias Kachunga, 60’)

You can watch a live stream of the second game by subscribing to iFollow HTAFC by CLICKING HERE!

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account