Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 August 2019

Sponsored by

Huddersfield Town’s first away game of the 2019/20 campaign ended in a draw as Karlan Grant’s opener from the spot was cancelled out by Grant Hall late in the second-half.

Jan Siewert made one change for the trip to the capital with Lewis O’Brien handed his competitive debut in place of Aaron Mooy; the latter making a deadline day loan move to Brighton & Hove Albion for the remainder of the season.

Both teams observed an impeccable minute’s silence before Karlan Grant got proceedings underway at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

Adama Diakhaby got Town off to a bright start collecting the ball inside his own-half and making a driving run forwards. He beat several men before going down just outside the box and despite his claims, Town’s right-winger was adjudged to have dived and was shown a yellow card.

With Town seeing the greater share of the ball in the opening exchanges, it would be the hosts who would have the first meaningful chance. Ebere Eze showed some quick feet to dance through the Town defence before shooting on the angle. Kamil Grabara produced a good parrying save before Schindler cleared with Jordan Hugill lurking for the rebound.

QPR had another good chance soon after. Town failed to halt a driving run from Osayi-Samuel, allowing him time to fire at goal as Kamil Grabara prevented his effort.

The Terriers went straight up the other end with a chance of their own. Jan Siewert’s side hustled out of possession with the ball landing at the feet of Lewis O’Brien. The young midfielder composed himself and slotted Karlan Grant in one-on-one, his shot was saved on the angle before Juninho Bacuna's shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Joe Lumley in the R’s goal.

With both teams probing and a spell with little clear-cut chances, Alex Pritchard went close. Town broke with Lewis O’Brien finding Juninho Bacuna in space on the left flank, he ran towards the byline before cutting it back into the path of ‘Pritch’. Town's number-21 forced the ‘keeper into a parried save with a powerful strike from the edge of the area.

There was drama just before the break as Juninho Bacuna made a late challenge on the QPR defender. The home crowd protested for a straight red as the referee opted for a yellow for Town’s Dutch midfielder.

Having been shown a yellow late in the half, Jan Siewert shuffled the pack at the interval and introduced Elias Kachunga in place of Bacuna.

It was an instant impact. Kachunga, who was operating off the right, found himself in behind the QPR defence and was brought down in the box. Karlan Grant stepped up and made no mistake from six-yards; opening the scoring with a deadly placed finish.

QPR were looking for a response and nearly found it. Angel Rangel got in behind the Town defence and cut the ball back to Eze. His shot looked like it was heading for the top corner but for a good block from the Town defence.

Collin Quaner was introduced in the 75th minute in place of Adama Diakhaby as Town looked to kill the game off.

Bright-Samuel went close as he picked the ball up on the QPR left and cut in field before firing a dangerous dipping effort that skimmed the top of the crossbar; it was a let off for Town.

QPR were to make their late pressure count as they equalised late in the game. Manning delivered a floated free kick towards the far post and Grant Hall was on hand to finish with a looping header across goal.

Town’s Starting Line-up (4-3-3):
Kamil Grabara; Terence Kongolo, Christopher Schindler (c), Tommy Elphick, Florent Hadergjonaj; Lewis O’Brien, Jonathan Hogg, Juninho Bacuna (Elias Kachunga, 45’); Alex Prtichard (Jon Gorenc Stanković, 90’), Karlan Grant, Adama Diakhaby (Collin Quaner, 75’)

Ryan Schofield, Herbert Bockhorn, Reece Brown, Josh Koroma

14,377 (1,787 Town fans)

Advertisement block