Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 April 2019

Match Reports


10 April 2019

Sponsored by

Micah Obiero’s late goal gives Young Terriers the win

- Huddersfield Town Under-19s beat Burnley
- Dean Whitehead’s side grabs a late winner
- Striker Micah Obiero takes his tally to 12 for the season

Micah Obiero scored a late goal to give Dean Whitehead’s Under-19 side a 1-0 victory over Burnley in a behind-closed-doors game at the Barnfield Training Centre on Wednesday morning.

The Young Terriers dominated most of the game, but they had to wait until the last four minutes to open the scoring.

Striker Obiero found himself through on goal and he kept his composure to slot the ball past the Burnley goalkeeper and into the bottom corner.

The striker now has 12 goals in 30 starts for the Under-19s this season.

Town’s youngsters took control of the game from the first whistle, which was hardly a surprise considering the strength of Whitehead’s side.

Demeaco Duhaney, Hamid Sabiri, Matty Daly and Aaron Rowe were all named in Whitehead’s side to face Burnley, marking DD’s first appearance since picking up a thigh problem in the First Team’s win over Wolves in late February.

The first real chance of the game came on seven minutes when Sabiri saw his curling effort fly narrowly wide of the post, after Town had been awarded a free-kick in a good position.

The Young Terriers continued to play some beautiful football as the game progressed which saw Obiero slip the ball through to Kit Elliott, but the latter’s shot was saved comfortably by the Burnley goalkeeper.

Elliott carried on troubling the Burnley defence and he showed great strength to hold off the opposition defender before playing in Jaden Brown, but the full-back dragged his shot wide of the goal.

The score remained goalless at the break and Whitehead opted to make two changes during that time, with trialist Rio Douglas and Under-17 centre back Nassim Kherbouche coming on for Duhaney and another player returning from injury, Harry Spratt.

Brown did superbly to get to the by-line early in the second half before crossing for Obiero, but the striker’s effort was cleared well by the Burnley defender.

Town continued to ask questions of the Burnley goalkeeper, but he kept responding well and he was alert on 55 minutes to rush out before getting down well to save a low shot from Elliott.

Whitehead then made a further two changes a minute after the hour mark, with Jaheim Headley and Kian Harratt replacing Daly and Rowe.

The Young Terriers must have been thinking it would not be their day as chances continued to go begging, with Brown and Sabiri hitting further efforts wide and over respectively.

The goal would eventually come though, as Obiero slotted the ball past the Burnley goalkeeper in the 86th minute to give Town’s youngsters the victory.

Next up for Whitehead‘s Under-19s side is a trip to Poland to face Warta Poznań on Monday 15 April; 3pm kick-off.

The Young Terriers will then be in action again two days later, as they face Śląsk Wrocław on Wednesday 17 April; 3pm kick-off.

Town’s team (4-3-3)
Jacob Chapman; Jaden Brown, Harry Spratt (Nassim Kherbouche, 46’), Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Demeaco Duhaney (Rio Douglas, 46’); Scott High, Abdelhamid Sabiri, Matty Daly (Jaheim Headley, 61’); Aaron Rowe (Kian Harratt, 61’), Micah Obiero, Kit Elliott

Unused substitutes
Mustapha Olagunju, Josh Austerfield

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account