Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 September 2018

Match Reports


25 September 2018

Sponsored by

Jackson scores again in first game back in England

- Huddersfield Town U19s draw at Wigan Athletic
- Winger Ben Jackson scores second goal in as many games
- Latics equalise in evenly contested second-half

Mark Hudson’s Under-19 side drew its first game back in England following the recent stay in Portugal, with winger Ben Jackson netting in an eventual 1-1 draw at Wigan Athletic.

The goal was 17-year-old winger Jackson’s second in as many games, having scored the winner in the previous fixture; a 1-0 victory over Spanish side RC Celta de Vigo.

The Terriers enjoyed real control over most of the opening 45 minutes, dominating possession for large spells and creating a few very presentable chances without breaking the deadlock.

Midfielder Isaac Marriott was the first to test a goalkeeper with a snapshot that was directed too close to the goalkeeper after good play on the right from winger Dom Tear.

Jackson soon lifted a hopeful effort way over the crossbar while turning to meet full back Mason O’Malley’s looped pass into the area; the defender having done well initially to win the ball high up the pitch.

Wigan’s best spell of the half came in the 25th minute, where a couple of attacking corners preceded a shot from the striker that forced England Under-21 international Ryan Schofield into brilliant action; the youngster flinging himself to his right to turn a powerful effort over the crossbar.

Town quickly regained control and created the best chance of the opening half just two minutes later. After breaking through Wigan’s press, England Under-17 international Matty Daly drove into the attacking half and slipped a pass through the defence for striker Kit Elliott. Although he successfully rounded the advancing goalkeeper, he was driven wide and his eventual effort was soft enough to be cleared on the line by a recovering defender.

The Young Terriers pressed on, with O’Malley and Jackson combining neatly to set the winger away down the left. His cross was inviting and fell to Tear at the back post, but he could only steer the ball over the bar at full stretch.

Daly soon pressed Wigan into another mistake deep in their own half, giving Jackson the chance to hook the ball goalwards. His cross-come-shot struck the crossbar before bouncing clear; it would have been some effort had it gone in!

There was time for Tear, who completed another hour as he continues his recovery from an ankle injury that saw him miss pre-season entirely, to have another effort. This time O’Malley produced a superb cross that found Dom unmarked in the middle, but sadly he couldn’t get over his header and the ball flew well over.

The second-half was a more even affair, with Hudson making several substitutions as he carefully managed the number of minutes his young players have featured in across a busy week of games.

Schofield was called upon early to get down and save a fiercely struck effort from 20 yards following a Wigan break.

In response, Town scored the opener just before the hour mark. Tear played the ball into the middle of the pitch for Daly and he played a ball behind the defence for the pacey Jackson to sprint in behind before placing the ball past the on-rushing custodian.

Substitute Aaron Rowe then had a great chance to double the advantage barely six minutes’ later after being released down the left flank by forward Micah Obiero, but he smashed his effort over the crossbar after cutting infield.

Instead, it was Wigan to hit the net with 20 minutes remaining; a neat passage of play ending with the striker firing a magnificent effort into the top corner from 20 yards, giving Schofield no chance.

There were no real chances for either side as the game drew to a close, with Town’s best effort seeing substitute Sam Gibson releasing Demeaco Duhaney down the right, who flashed a cross into the area without anyone connecting.

Highlights of the game will appear on #HTTV later this week!

Town’s team (4-1-4-1)
Ryan Schofield; Mason O’Malley (Aaron Rowe, 62’), Harry Spratt, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Demeaco Duhaney; Scott High (c); Ben Jackson (Sam Gibson, 72’), Matty Daly (George Danaher, 62’), Isaac Marriott, Dom Tear (Romoney Crichlow-Noble, 66’); Kit Elliott (Micah Obiero, 57’)

Unused subs
Harrison Davison-Hale; Dahomey Raymond

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account