Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


25 May 2018

Club News


25 May 2018

Sponsored by

Town saddened to report the passing of former winger

- Rest in Peace Franny Firth
- Thoughts of Huddersfield Town with Franny’s family
- Franny was part of the only Town side to reach the FA Youth Cup Final

Huddersfield Town is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of former winger Franny Firth at the age of 61.

Franny was part of the Club’s only ever Academy side to reach the FA Youth Cup Final in the 1973/74 season, with the Young Terriers being beaten 2-1 by Tottenham Hotspur over two legs.

He made 30 appearances for Town in all competitions between 1972 and 1977, scoring four goals.

The thoughts of everyone at Huddersfield Town are with Franny’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Franny Firth, who was primarily used as a winger, was born in Dewsbury on 27 May 1956 and signed for Huddersfield Town as an apprentice on 12 July 1972.

After impressing as a youngster, he was inducted into the Club’s First Team squad at the start of the 1973/74 season.

It was later that campaign when Franny, aged just 17, made his Town debut, coming on as a substitute for Welsh international Dick Krzywicki in a 5-0 win over Rochdale in February 1974.

At the end of that season, the winger and his young teammates wrote their names into the Club’s history books.

Franny was still featuring for Town’s Under-18s side, which beat Doncaster Rovers, Bradford City, Burnley, Charlton Athletic, Manchester United and West Bromwich Albion to progress into the FA Youth Cup Final – the only team in the Club’s history to reach that feat.

The Final against Tottenham Hotspur was played over two legs, with the first ending 1-1, which meant the winners would be decided at Leeds Road.

Around 15,300 people flocked to the Stadium to watch the game – over 10,000 more than the average First Team gate – however, the youngsters, who performed valiantly, were beaten 1-0 in extra-time meaning a 2-1 defeat over the two-legs.

Franny continued to develop and scored his first senior goal for the Club in a 3-0 win over Darlington on 21 February 1976.

The following season (1976/77) Franny asserted himself into Town’s First Team and scored two goals in the Club’s opening four games. However, on 2 October 1976, he suffered a broken leg against Barnsley, in what was his last appearance in the blue and white stripes.

Franny went on to join Halifax Town and made over 150 appearances before a short spell at Bury.

After retiring from the game, he chose not to stay in football and became a postman in the Huddersfield district.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account