Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 March 2018

Match Reports


7 March 2018

Sponsored by

Young Terriers fall to a narrow defeat in South Yorkshire

- Town’s Under-18s defeated by Sheffield United
- Penalty from Kyron Gordan decides the game
- Chances at a premium for both sides

Leigh Bromby’s Young Terriers were defeated 1-0 away at Sheffield United in the latest game of the Professional Development League season in South Yorkshire on Wednesday afternoon.

In a tight game, Kyron Gordan scored the only goal from the spot in the 70th minute to give United the win; the hosts having played a large portion of the game with 10 men as Harrison Foulstone saw red in the 51st minute for a foul.

The match started with both teams struggling to get time on the ball and it was an even opening period. Simeon Oure of United had the first attempt of the game in the 5th minute but his shot was blazed over. Ten minutes later and Town goalkeeper Luke Mewitt was called into action, coming to claim a free kick well.

The first half was also punctuated by frequent injuries. Town’s Scott High and Aaron Rowe both took knocks but recovered to continue playing. Winger Rowe was involved in a tactical switch from Bromby as he shifted the winger over to the left side with Mason O’Malley coming to the right. O’Malley was becoming increasingly involved in the play but was unable to create a clear chance.

With half an hour gone, the Blades began to venture forward more and some well-timed blocks from the Town defenders meant Mewitt was untroubled. At the other end, O’Malley was again involved as he connected with a cross but his headed attempt flew just over.

The half time thistle blew at 0-0 with both sides struggling to create chances. Mewitt had been the busier of the two keepers but he was never truly troubled.

United started the second period brighter, with Oure missing a golden opportunity. The number 10 had managed to run through into the Town box but lifted his effort high over the bar.

Just six minutes after the restart, the Blades were reduced to 10 men. Town striker George Danaher was through on goal before being brought down by Harrison Foulstone. It was not a malicious challenge, but the referee had no choice but to send Foulstone off as he denied a clear goal-scoring opportunity. Now being numerically inferior, United switch to a 5-1-3 formation.

Bromby introduced fresh legs just before the hour mark as Micah Obiero and Under-16 forward Darnell Mintus replaced Danaher and Rowe.

After the changes, the Blades pushed forward in search of the opening goal and Oran Thompson was needed to produce a goal line clearance that kept the scores level in the 65th minute.

However, just five minutes later and the hosts were in front. A mistimed tackle centre back Thompson gave United striker Gordan a chance from the penalty spot. Mewitt did get a hand to it but the ball nestled in the bottom right corner to give United the lead with 20 minutes left.

Five minutes later and Gordan was again troubling the Town defence. Having latched onto a loose pass, his pace brought him towards goal and Mewitt was required to make a smart save.

Town started to press for the equaliser as the game drew to a close, but two corners in four minutes were well dealt with by United. Like the first, the second half had seen plenty of pauses for injuries meaning that the referee added on six minutes at the end of the 90.

A collision between United ‘keeper Marcus Dewhurst and teammate Ali Omar meant another stop in play as the game entered injury time. Omar damaged his arm and was unable to continue so the hosts were forced to play with nine men, having already made three subs.

The referee eventually blew his whistle after nine minutes of stoppage time as an even game was decided from the penalty spot.

Highlights from the game will appear on #HTTV later this week.

Town’s team (4-2-3-1)
Luke Mewitt; Ben Jackson, Saul Milovanovic, Oran Thompson (c), Sam Gibson; Isaac Marriott, Scott High; Mason O’Malley, Josh Austerfield (Dahomey Raymond, 68’), Aaron Rowe (Darnell Mintus, 58’); George Danaher (Micah Obiero, 58’)

Unused Subs
Harrison Davison-Hale, Ben Mills

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account