Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


21 March 2018

Match Reports


21 March 2018

Sponsored by

Leigh Bromby’s Young Terriers were defeated by Crewe Alexandra on Wednesday afternoon.

The opening 15 minutes of the match was a close affair as neither side managed to make a clear chance. Town though was enjoying the majority of the possession but unable to penetrate an organised Crewe defence.

With 26 minutes gone, the game saw its first real chance which produced the game’s first goal. A Crewe free kick on the right was crossed in, and although the initial delivery was defended, the ball found its way to the unmarked Crewe attackers. After a tangle of legs involving the Crewe players and Town keeper Luke Mewitt, Crewe’s number five was on hand to tap the ball into an empty net.

Going a goal down sparked Town into life and their game had more urgency to it. Scott High saw a couple of efforts go narrowly wide before Kit Elliot connected well with an Isaac Marriott cross but was only able to find the post with his effort on the volley.

In the 41st minute, Town drew level. A great run from Rhazir Smith-Jones saw him taken down by the Crewe defender. The referee showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot and having won the spot kick, Smith-Jones stepped up to take it. He slotted the ball to the right as the keeper dived to the left and equalised with four minutes left to play in the first half.

The referee blew the whistle at half time with the scores level but with Town on top in the closing exchanges.

After the restart, Crewe struck quickly to regain their lead in the 47th minute. A ball through the middle caught Oran Thompson and Dahomey Raymond out giving Crewe’s number nine time pick his spot in the bottom left corner and finish past Luke Mewitt.

Six minutes later and Crewe doubled their advantage. The goal came from a set piece as Luke Mewitt produced a low save from a free kick, but the ball fell to Joe Lynch who slotted the ball past the keeper to make it 3-1 to the home side.

As the game hit the hour mark, Crewe struck for the third time in 13 minutes with Lynch doubling his personal tally, as his deft header found the bottom right corner.

Town had a penalty turnout after the hour mark as substitute Ben Mills’ cross collided hit the arm of a Crewe defender, but the referee deemed it fair as he waved away the penalty appeals.

Micah Obiero did well to work some space in the box towards the end as his attempt was met by a fingertip stop from the Crewe goalkeeper in what proved to be Town’s last attempt of the game.

Town Starting Line-Up (4-2-3-1):

Luke Mewitt (Harrison Davison-Hale, 75’); Ben Jackson (c), Dahomey Raymond, Oran Thompson, Isaac Marriott; Scott High (Ben Mills, 46’), Saul Milovanovic; Carlito Williams, Aaron Rowe, Rhazir Smith-Jones (Micah Obiero, 62’); Kit Elliott

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account