Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 December 2018

Match Reports


4 December 2018

Sponsored by

Good test for the Young Terriers

- Huddersfield Town Under-19s defeated by Ossett United
- Good test against several senior players for the Young Terriers
- Winger Olly Dyson scored Town’s goal before half-time

Mark Hudson’s Under-19 side received a good test against another senior non-league side in Ossett United on Monday evening.

Missing several regulars in preparation for the FA Youth Cup tie against Peterborough United at the John Smith’s Stadium on Wednesday evening, Hudson fielded his team in a new-look formation akin to that of the First Team in recent weeks.

Hudson wants his players to become accustomed to the physical challenges of men’s football and that was certainly the case in the opening 10 minutes, when physio Jon Worthington was called on to treat goalkeeper Luke Mewitt and centre back Jake Barrett after heavy collisions.

Town soon created the first chance of the game when the Ossett goalkeeper fluffed a clearance straight to attacker George Danaher. Unfortunately for the Young Terriers, Danaher’s resulting shot was too close to the custodian.

Ossett’s first shot was an effort from range after 20 minutes, but they soon opened the scoring through striker Tom Corner. Centre back Romoney Crichlow-Noble hesitated for a second in defence, allowing Corner to secure possession before slotting the ball past Mewitt.

That buoyed the home side and their next effort required Mewitt to pull off a diving save; he recovered well enough to force the forward to put the follow-up wide.

United doubled their advantage through Corner’s second goal with around five minutes of the first-half remaining. He connected well with a free kick delivered from out wide, volleying the ball past Mewitt.

However, winger Olly Dyson got the Young Terriers back in the game on the stroke of the interval. Having received the ball in a tight area, Olly spread the play to left wing-back Harry Spratt and got into the area to latch onto the resulting cross. Although the ‘keeper saved his first effort, Dyson was on hand to place the rebound home.

The second 45 minutes was a real battle, but with only a few moments of real quality. Town’s best chances to level came towards the end of the game, with Demeaco Duhaney shooting straight at the ‘keeper after receiving a pass from Dyson and Olly himself firing just wide from a great position, having received a threaded pass from substitute Sam Gibson.

In the end, it was Ossett who put the game to bed in the final seconds when Tom Greaves intercepted a poor back-pass from Rarmani Edmonds-Green to score.

Town’s team (3-5-1-1)
Luke Mewitt; Romoney Crichlow-Noble, Jake Barrett, Rarmani Edmonds-Green (c); Harry Spratt, Dom Tear, Isaac Marriott, Olly Dyson, Demeaco Duhaney; George Danaher; Ben Mills (Sam Gibson, 78’)

Unused subs
Gabriel Rosario, Oran Thompson, Dahomey Raymond

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account