Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


16 April 2018

Sponsored by

Hudson's side secure 2-1 win

- Matty Daly’s 94th minute penalty gives Town the win
- Three goals in the last ten minutes
- Town’s 11th league win of the season

Mark Hudson’s U23 side got back to winning ways as they secured a deserved three points against Ipswich Town on Monday afternoon at PPG Canalside. Rarmani Edmonds-Green opened the scoring for Town before Lewis O’Brien earned the team an injury time penalty which Matty Daly duly converted.

Town started the game in an aggressive manner. Dictating the play and preventing Ipswich from escaping its own half. Lewis O’Brien’s mazy run was stopped illegally by the Ipswich defender, but Regan Booty’s subsequent free kick attempt went wide of the right post.

As part of the formation, Scott High was dropping deep which allowed centre-backs Rarmani Edmonds-Green and Romoney Crichlow-Noble to push up and look to break the Ipswich lines. Crichlow-Noble in particular was proving a threat with some accurate passing.

Matty Daly then had a chance to pick out Dom Tear who had made a smart run in-behind, but his pass was slightly over hit as Michael Crowe smothered the ball.

The first 20 minutes passed by and although there was no goals as of yet, Town was firmly the side on top. Rekeil Pyke had Town’s best chance of the half in the 21st minute as he hit an effort from outside the box. It was a powerful attempt but Crowe got down quickly to save.

With the game approaching the half hour mark, the away side registered their first shot. A free kick delivery came was deflected and it arrived at the feet of Shane McLoughlin who was free on the edge of the box. McLoughlin tried to curl an effort inside the post but his mark was off just off as he sent the ball wide.

Town’s dominance had faded since the opening 20 minutes but Mark Hudson’s team was still looking the most likely to score. Rekeil Pyke broke down the left flank but his cross was inches away from finding a teammate in the box, proving to be the last meaningful attack of the first half.

Town started the second period at the same tempo with Pyke again causing problems for the Ipswich defence, but he was unable to create a clear opening in the box and the away side cleared.

The full backs were becoming increasingly involved as Jordan Williams advanced up the right flank. He received a pass and produced an excellent cross towards Dom Tear at the far post. The ball bounced as it made its way to Tear and he could only deflect his shot over.

Five minutes later and Dom Tear was again involved. This time, Lewis O’Brien picked him out with a floated ball and the winger looked to head back across goal. He made good contact with the but his header went wide of the far post.

As the hour mark ticked past, Mark Hudson made two changes. Ben Jackson replaced Mason O’Malley in the left-back position and Aaron Rowe took the place of Dom Tear.

Town was getting closer and closer with set pieces looking like they’d be the source of the opening goal. Regan Booty’s corner was inches away from the head of Raramani Edmonds-Green. His centre back partner Crichlow-Noble then got back quickly to defend the Ipswich counter.

Ipswich too had their chances with the dead ball. A handball by Edmonds-Green gave the Tractor Boys a free kick on the left wing but Gabriel Rosario, who was making his first appearance at this age level, punched clear.

Substitute Aaron Rowe started brightly. A smart run allowed him in behind and he picked out a teammate in the box but saw his shot was saved.

The game was drawing to a close but in the 84th minute, Town took the lead. Lewis O’Brien chased down a seemingly dead ball and the Ipswich defender was not ready for the unexpected pressure and ended up fouling O’Brien. Regan Booty took the free kick, which was on the right hand side of the box, and whipped it towards the near post. Edmonds-Green stooped down low to make connection with the ball and he put his header past Crowe into the Ipswich net.

The goal was deserved as Town had dominated the game for large periods but just not been able to open the scoring. However, there was to be more late drama as Ipswich quickly equalised. In the 89th minute, substitute Jack Lancaster received the ball on the edge of the Town box. He curled an effort into the far right corner of the goal and gave Rosario no chance.

Town pushed for another late goal looking to take the three points. Lewis O’Brien burst into the Ipswich box and seemed to take too many touches before getting a shot away. However, this meant the Ipswich defender clipped O’Brien’s leg and the referee showed no hesitation in pointing towards the spot. With the game now into the 94th minute, Matty Daly stepped up and converted the spot kick low into the bottom right corner of the goal.

The penalty was the last meaningful kick of the game as the full time whistle went securing the 2-1 win for the home side. Goals from Rarmani Edmonds-Green and Matty Daly secured Town’s 11th win of the season.

Town’s Starting Line-Up (4-2-3-1):

Gabriel Rosario; Mason O’Malley (Ben Jackson 59’), Romoney Crichlow-Noble, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Jordan Williams; Scott High, Regan Booty, Dom Tear (Aaron Rowe 62’), Matty Daly, Lewis O’Brien; Rekeil Pyke

Unused subs:

Harrison Davison-Hale, Harry Spratt, Jake Barrett

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account