Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 April 2018

Match Reports


14 April 2018

Sponsored by

Leigh Bromby’s Young Terriers were defeated by Charlton Athletic on Saturday morning. Charlton - who sit second in their division - proved a tough opponent for Town but they showed glimpses throughout.

Town started the game brightly as Ben Jackson looked to break into the box, but a last gasp slide tackle from the Charlton defender halted his progress. A few minutes later and Jackson registered Town’s first shot of the game with a low driven effort, but it was caught by Charlton goalkeeper George Shelvey.

At the other end, Giosue Bellagambi was called into action to make a fantastic reaction save from close range. A Charlton cross picked out a teammate at the far post but the goal-bound shot was palmed over.

Aaron Rowe was becoming increasingly involved and coming very close to making good chances. His smart footwork saw him take the ball past two defenders, but a third Charlton player came across to cover.

In the 15th minute, Charlton took the lead as Bellagambi was caught out by Yassine En-Neyah. The Charlton striker slid and his tackle ended with the ball in the net. It was harsh on Town and in particular Bellagambi who had made two good saves previously.

The opening goal proved to be the first of three in a ten-minute period for Charlton. The second came from a corner as the attacker nipped in near post to head past the Town ‘keeper in the 22nd minute and in the 26th minute En-Neyah doubled his personal tally. He cut in well from the left before opening his body and side-footing the ball into the far corner.

It was a devastating ten minutes for Leigh Bromby’s Town and a not entirely reflective period as the game had been even up until that point.

In Town’s search for a goal to get back into the game Darnell Mintus was using his body well to try and hold the ball up. He held the defender off as he broke down the right flank but his cross went wide.

With the game approaching the break, Town pulled one back. A fantastic cross from Ben Jackson picked out Ben Mills who had darted into the box from the opposite flank. Mills finished smartly past the Charlton goalkeeper to give Town hope going into the second half.

The half time whistle blew with Town looking to recover from that ten minute period that produced three Charlton goals.

The second half began with a high tempo and Jake Barrett and Jackson both had chances. Barrett’s came from a free kick won by Mintus while Jackson rose well to meet a cross but his header flew over.

Town was beginning to dominate the ball as Jackson was an increasing threat from the wing. When called upon, Bellagambi was on hand to claim two crosses. The first of which required bravery and saw him collide with the Charlton player but the Young Terrier was okay to continue.

Leigh Bromby introduced Remi Thompson to add some pace to the attack with Town continuing to look for a route back into the game. Aaron Rowe tricked his way into the box but took one too many touches before getting the shot away and the Charlton defender cleared.

With Town’s players visibly tiring, Charlton scored two late goals. The first came in the 87th minute as Matthew Bondswell found space in the box before finishing. Charlton’s fifth came in injury time with the attacker turning in the box and rolling the ball into the bottom left corner.

The final whistle blew at 5-1 to the visitors as Charlton proved too strong for Town. The Young Terriers had chances but the ten minute spell in the first half for Charlton that produced three goals proved too big of a mountain to climb for Leigh Bromby’s team.

Town’s Starting Line-Up (4-2-3-1):

Giosue Bellagambi; Ben Mills, Harry Spratt, Jake Barrett, Tom Bamford; Dahomey Raymond, Tom Bell (Remi Thompson 66’); Josh Austerfield, Aaron Rowe, Ben Jackson; Darnell Mintus

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account