Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 July 2017

Match Reports


25 July 2017

Town’s Under-23’s draw 1-1 at Stalybridge Celtic

- Town Under-23s draw at Stalybridge Celtic
- Brendan Glackin scores for Town
- Highlights on HTTV tomorrow

Frankie Bunn’s Town U23 side came out with a draw against Stalybridge Celtic in their second pre-season game of 2017/18.

Following their 1-0 win over Curzon Ashton at the weekend; Frankie Bunn took his side to Bower Fold to face Stalybridge Celtic for another pre-season friendly in preparation for the upcoming Professional Development League season.

Their opponents, Stalybridge Celtic currently play in the 7th tier of English Football in the Evo-Stick Premier North; following relegation from the National League North last season.

Town could have so easily taken the lead early on as some great work on the Town left saw Dom Tear smash the ball across the face of goal with Olly Dyson just not able to stretch far enough to turn the ball home.

The host had the next chance on the 8th minute as a deep free-kick evaded everyone in the box - including Ryan Schofield - but the Stalybridge attacker could only steer the ball wide at the far post.

Stalybridge were hitting Town on the counter attack, and the next chance came as a Town attack broke down and Stalybridge countered on the Town right. With the Stalybridge left-winger bearing down on goal, Town reorganised well defensively; with Jordan Williams making a good block from a strike by the Stalybridge left winger.

Town were under a lot of pressure and could have gone a goal down as the powerful Stalybridge Forward – Aaron Burns – delivered a cross to the far post and steaming in full-back Danny Morton saw his powerful header go just over the crossbar.

Lewis O’Brien had the next chance for Town as he brought the ball down from a corner and with two quickfire chances couldn’t manage to squeeze the ball home between the defenders.

Ryan Schofield then made an excellent save 3 minutes into the second half as Aaron Burns found himself free and unmarked in the centre of the goal following a cross from the right. Burns powered his header towards goal but Schofield made an excellent save to deny the forward.

Town then started to dominate the possession, comfortably moving the ball around in the opposition half. The break through nearly came as the ball was worked into Olly Dyson 25 yards from goal. But his low strike hit the base of the post and bounced away.

A 61st minute substitution saw Town introduce Brendan Glackin to the game, and a minute later he got the breakthrough goal for Town. Glackin cut inside from the right and smashed the ball with his left foot into the far corner to give Town the lead.

The lead lasted only 9 minutes as Bailey-Jones got the equaliser for Stalybridge tapping home from close range following a low cross from the right by Danny Morton.

Town Under-23s vs Stalybridge Celtic (4-2-3-1):
Ryan Schofield; Dylan Cogill (Romoney Crichlow-Noble, 45’), Danny Kane, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Jordan Williams; Lewis O’Brien (c), Isaac Marriott (Saul Milovanovic, 67’); Luca Colville (Sam Gibson, 85’), Dom Tear (Matty Daly, 71’), Denilson Carvalho (Deshane Dalling, 45’); Olly Dyson (Brendan Glackin, 61’)

Unused subs:
Luke Mewitt

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account