Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Sheff Wed

14 January 2017


Town was back in league action and made eight chances ahead of its visit to Sheffield Wednesday looking to make it back-to-back wins following their 4-0 victory over Port Vale. But the win wasn't to come as strikes from Ross Wallace and Fernando Forestieri saw Town lose out 2-0 in the Yorkshire Derby.

The first chance of the game went in the way of Town as Tommy Smith found space on the right, and it was his cross across goal that bounced over the head of the Sheffield Wednesday defender to Nahki Wells at the back post; but his header lacked power and was comfortably collected by Kieren Westwood in the Sheffield Wednesday goal.

Town saw the majority of the ball in the first quarter as the next chance came from an Aaron Mooy corner that found an unmarked Michael Hefele in the box; but he put is header wide of the mark.

Some good pressing created the next opportunity for Town as Nahki Wells nipped in and stole the ball from Sam Hutchinson, and on the counter Town worked the ball into the box; but Nahki Wells sliding in at the near post was unable to divert Elias Kachunga's cross home.

Elias Kachunga had the beating of his marker on several occasions; and it was a diagonal from Aaron Mooy that created the next dangerous chance as Kachunga controlled the ball and stepped inside of his man and was fouled inches outside the penalty area. Chris Loewe flashed the subsequent free kick across the face of goal but Westwood in the Sheffield Wednesday net got a hand to the ball diverting it out for a corner.

The second half began at a frantic pace as Town were denied a dubious foul in the centre following a dual between Nahki Wells and Sam Hutchinson, from this Sheffield Wednesday broke and took the lead as Ross Wallace found the net from 25-yards to put the hosts a goal up.

Town was struggling to create anything noteworthy as a flurry of chances followed for the visitors with Forestieri firing wide after his pass deflected back into his feet off Michael Hefele. Town then made a double change introducing Dean Whitehead and Joe Lolley in place of Izzy Brown and Philip Billing on the hour mark.

Jack Payne was then shown a straight red card for a late tackle on Sam Hutchinson after 70 minutes, reducing Town to 10 men and making their chase for the equaliser that bit harder.

Michael Hefele had the next chance as the 10-men of Town were looking to find a way back into the game, but the German defender was unable to get enough power on his header from Chris Lowe's cross to trouble the keeper.

Town then made their final change as Dean Whitehead was replaced by Mark Hudson, allowing Michael Hefele to go up front as Town switched to a more direct approach as they searched for that equaliser.

Two late chances fell Town’s way; Michael Hefele rifled a shot into the side netting after he fed of a loose pass before Hudson hit a half volley high and wide in the box.

The equaliser wasn't to come as the hosts doubled their lead, Town was caught on the break as Callum McManaman's initial shot was deflected into the path of Fernando Forestieri who flicked the ball over the line.

Town’s team (4-2-3-1):
Danny Ward; Chris Löwe, Christopher Schindler, Michael Hefele, Tommy Smith (c); Aaron Mooy, Philip Billing (Dean Whitehead, 60’ (Mark Hudson, 86’)); Izzy Brown (Joe Lolley, 60’), Jack Payne, Elias Kachunga; Nahki Wells

Unused subs:
Joel Coleman, Harry Bunn, Tareiq Holmes-Dennis, Martin Cranie

Tweets by @htafcdotcom

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account