Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 September 2016

Boyle, Pyke & Colville score in third straight win

- HTAFC U23s win third straight game
- Frankie Bunn's side defeats Bristol City 3-1
- Jack Boyle, Rekeil Pyke & Luca Colville score

Huddersfield Town’s Under-23 side recorded a third straight Professional Development League win on Thursday afternoon at the expense of Bristol City at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Goals from Jack Boyle and Rekeil Pyke gave Town a comfortable lead, but an improved second half performance from the away side – complete with a goal – made things interesting before Luca Colville (pictured above) settled the nerves with a late strike.

Bunn’s young side, unchanged from the 1-0 win at home to Nottingham Forest just four days earlier, commanded the first half, with Joe Murphy untroubled in the home goal. However, the Irishman’s valuable experience was audible from the stands at the John Smith’s Stadium; he was guiding his young defence through the game all the time.

Town deservedly took the lead just five minutes in through Jack Boyle. Luca Colville, Regan Booty and Lewis O’Brien spread the play from left to right to put overlapping right back Sam Warde clear. He crossed and the goalkeeper collided with striker Rekeil Pyke, giving Boyle the chance to fire into the top corner from near the penalty spot.

The home side continued to make the running, with Boyle’s shot from a Booty cutback blocked well by a defender, and had to wait until the 37th minute for the second to follow.

Good build-up allowed 16 year-old midfielder Olly Dyson to pull the trigger on the edge of the City box. He pulled his shot well wide of target, but striker Pyke showed great awareness to flick the ball with his heel into the far corner, leaving the goalkeeper completely stranded.

Warde tested the visiting goalkeeper with a fierce 25 yard drive that needed dealing with 10 minutes into the second half before City began to get a foothold in the game, testing Murphy with a long ranger of their own.

City should have scored in the 70th minute when James Difford’s powerful 20 yard drive was palmed away by Murphy, but the follow-up was headed inches wide when it looked a certain goal.

However, the goal did come two minutes later. Lewis O’Brien’s foul just outside the area gave Jake Andrews the chance to step forward and curl a superb, powerful effort into the top corner – giving Murphy absolutely no chance.

City’s youngsters were in the ascendancy at this point and only good covering from full back Jacob Hanson prevented Connor Lemonheigh-Evans from having a clear shot at Murphy’s goal inside the area with 12 minutes left.

Town toiled to get hold of the ball and when the spell of possession finally came in the 88th minute, it led to the game’s final goal. Regan Booty slid a clever pass into the path of sub Dom Tear and Pyke brought down his cross before passing back to Colville. The second year Academy scholar showed good feet to make space for the shot and finished with aplomb across the face of the goalkeeper, into the far corner.

Town’s team (4-2-3-1):
Joe Murphy; Jacob Hanson, Fraser Horsfall, Danny Kane, Sam Warde; Regan Booty (c), Jamie Spencer (Olly Dyson, 10 (Dom Tear, 76)); Luca Colville, Jack Boyle (Denilson Carvalho, 66), Lewis O’Brien; Rekeil Pyke

Unused subs:
George Dorrington, Cedwyn Scott

Tweets by @htafcdotcom

Advertisement block